Friday, May 24, 2013

PSALM 89 - Semper fi - God Bless

"I will not violate my covenant or alter the word that went forth from My lips. Once for all I have sworn by my holiness. I will not lie to David. His offspring shall endure forever, his throne as long as the sun before Me. Like the moon it shall be established forever, a faithful witness in the skies." God Almighty   (Verses 34-37)

Now as they were eating, Jesus took the bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat. This is my body." And He took the cup, and when He'd given thanks He gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."
Matthew 26

For all the promises of God find their Yes in Him.  2 Corinthians 1

She left her daughters when they were young to be with another man. It seemed so right, how could it be wrong? Besides, she was trapped in a marriage that stifled her. Married too young, she'd missed out on the dating scene. Was flattered by the attentions of an older man. That played itself out and she needed room to breathe. Only there were three little girls who needed their mommy. It was weeks after she left before they saw her again. The courts, of course, set up visitation times for every other weekend and a couple of nights during the week. Only thing was, that was somewhat burdensome, what with her job and boyfriend. "I'll be there at 6 o'clock." Maybe. Sometimes not at all. While they waited, dressed as if they were going on a date so happy were they to be with her. Over the years the promises were more brazen and the breaking of them more deadly. We can't trust what she tells us.

Promises. Promises. I think most of us don't really expect people to do what they say they will. So many of us are now the products of half of the marriages that fail. Parents breaking promises to each other. "I do" but maybe not so much. From politicians to preachers, parents to teachers, siblings to friends, we hope they'll do what they said they would. Just don't bank on it. Even from the bank.

I think that's why we all have to learn that God keeps His promises. That since He swears by Himself, the words came from His own lips, it will be accomplished. God will keep the covenant He speaks to us. It was first a blood covenant with Abraham. God will bless his seed, the Jewish people, forever in a land they now possess once again. To David God swore a kingly line that would never end. Fulfilled in the coming of Jesus, Who made a new covenant with those who believe in Him. Sealed it with His own blood. Now as they were eating, Jesus took the bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take eat. This is my body." And He took the cup, and when He'd given thanks He gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom." This new covenant promises to free us from our sin (Revelation 1:5), make us right with God (Hebrews 13:12), and redeem us from slavery to this world (Ephesians 1:7). No longer bound by the impossible rules of the law, we now have them written on our hearts. The indwelling Holy Spirit, also a promised part of the covenant, now makes it even possible to know what God wants us to do and to perform it. We can count on that. And heaven. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him shall not die but have life eternal." Jesus.

This Memorial Day weekend I'm struck by the blood oath made to Americans over and over again that men and women for over two centuries have kept. Semper fi. Always faithful. To protect us from the enemies who would destroy our way of life. Their blood has soaked the ground all over the world while they stood our ground against invaders and tyrants. Young soldiers promised to keep another 9/11 from happening on U.S. soil again. Stood faithful to that promise in Afghanistan and Iraq. Many bled the oath out there with their lives. Others lost limbs, buddies or faithful canine companions. To promise cost them something. There is always a price for the oath. To keep our word, semper fi, means no matter what. It's about honor. Character. Steadfastness of purpose. It reveals the character of God Whose Yes always means Yes.

I am thankful for all that Christ sacrificed to set me free and I want to honor His promise to me by being faithful to Him. I am thankful for all those in the military who have sacrificed to keep their oaths to this nation. It left a toll on them to have their Yes be Yes in Vietnam, Korea, Europe, Pearl Harbor all the way back to our beginnings. In a time when promises are so often left unkept, these men and women have reminded us that there is still honor in doing what they said they would do. I'm humbled by their sacrifice and thankful for their service. God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment