Tuesday, June 18, 2013

PSALM 93 - I AM On My Mind

Your throne is established from old. You are from everlasting.  (Verse 2)

Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and world, from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.  Psalm 90:2

Everlasting. In our McDonald hamburger, quickie divorce, give-it-to-me-now world, everlasting is such a foreign concept. The politically correct religious assumption is that when we die, we die. Dust to dust. Kaput. Nothing else. Certainly not everlasting existence. Unless, of course, one chooses to believe the New Age idea of reincarnation. Then our everlasting is a crap shoot of choices that karma throws at us. Cow or cockroach. Queen or pauper. The consequences of your time here on earth dire or dynamic depending on how well you did the thing while on the planet. Everlasting life on earth to go round one more time. So it bends our minds to think of God Who has always been and always will be. No one birthed Him, for God has no beginning and no end. He doesn't look back and see where it all started. He doesn't look forward to see where it all ends. For God has always been.

God lives in the "are." From everlasting to everlasting, He is. Rewind to the conversation Moses had with God in Exodus, Chapter three: "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM.  Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" Our God is always current, involved. There is no tomorrow to forget or future to devise. All is now. Observed and participated in without breathless anticipation. Omniscient. Omnipresent. Omnipotent. Too large to fathom yet indwelling His children. Swirling in my next breath. Close when I'm unaware, walking before and behind me even when He engages in this very moment. Our God outlasts our lives on earth. But in making us like Him, in His own image, we are eternal. We drop our skin and move in with our Father to become everlasting with Him. For we bear His genes. Created for a kingdom vast in scope, breathtaking in beauty, surging with energy, driven by love and permeated with both grace and justice. I AM is my Father. Picked me from before the foundations of the world to be His...in love (Ephesians 1). In that respect, I am eternal, too. In God's mind before the stars were flung, the mountains raised, the moon conceived, the rivers filled. When all was a void. A blank canvas for the Creator God to paint into the masterpiece that is our universe. Before all of that I was on His mind. Therefore, I've always been on His mind. There is no time with Him. You've been on His mind, too. Always. And we always will be. When we see Him, we'll know our God like He's always known us. That must be why He misses us. And maybe why our hearts long for God. Somewhere in our deepest parts we know we are eternal, made for more. Miss our Father from before the before.

When Heather was three years old, she said to me one morning, "Mommy, I miss Jesus. It's been about three years since I saw Him." It stopped me cold. Heather was always coming up with thoughts about Jesus. Even had an angel touch her in her room one night--but that's another story. I've always wondered about that statement. Pondered it all these years. Something in all of us misses eternity. Knows that this life can't be all there is. Many would rather have the dust to dust, but I think they've perhaps been deeply hurt along the way. Wounded spirits have such a hard time wanting more of the same in everlasting measure. Man will fail us. He is mortal. God's breath, however, warms us by its very nearness. Whispers everlasting to everlasting in our ears. Woos us to His heart, leads us to safety under His wings and assures us He is I AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment