Thursday, July 25, 2013

PSALM 97 - Trouble On Your Path?

He preserves the lives of His saints. He delivers them from the hand of the wicked. Light is sown for the righteous, and joy for the upright in heart. Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous, and give thanks to His holy name!  (Verses 10b-12)

But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full day. The way of the wicked is like deep darkness. They do not know over what they stumble. Proverbs 4: 18-19

Trouble on your path today? It doesn't resemble a well-lit freeway with light flooding the nighttime darkness with clarity for miles down the road? You are not alone. But the picture this psalm constructs is so encouraging to me today.

My path is original. Carved out of time and space by my Father. He knows it. I don't. So we journey together toward His goals and dreams for me. Were it lighted to the fullest degree, I wouldn't need my Father's hand. I'd just march on down the road, confident from beginning to end I'll get to my destination. Of course, then it becomes my destination. I take credit for it and can walk it by myself. Don't need God.  Another thing would happen then, too. The excitement of the trek. The thrill of the surprises that pop up in front of me in the way. The joy of discovering the riches that come up to meet me, almost bowling me over in the collision. More than anything, though, I'd miss my Father walking with me. Up the hills, down into the valleys, over oceans and into the arid deserts. I do not want to walk alone.

My path is lit. Not flooded with light, but lit as with a flashlight or oil lamp. A few steps at a time. God, my Father, walks ahead of me sowing light there. I love that picture! He is light and from my God's fingers drop rays of clarity, spotlighting where I should set my feet. No veering to the right or to the left. Eyes on the flashlight. "Step here, child," He says. "Here where you see My footprint." And the leaves blow off the forest floor as if swept away with the broom in my kitchen storage cabinet.

My path is dangerous. There is a thief lurking in the shadows on it every day of my pilgrimage. He wants to destroy me. Grabs at me with all his might. Yells "Boo!" to try and make me retreat. Whispers into the darkness way down the path that I'm a fool for walking in so little light. That my God isn't good and will lead me to destruction, or worse, an empty end. "Come over here and play a while," the enemy woos. "You are tired from this arduous travel down a poorly lit road." And I am tempted, tired and troubled. Confusing voices collide in my head. Maybe I'm going the wrong way. What if God isn't good? And the enemy wrings his hands in glee, chuckles at my perplexity and takes hold of my coattails to pull me from the road.

My path is protected. But my Father hates the Evil One who would pull me into darkness. "Tell him, daughter, that you are Mine!" calls out my God. "Tell him to get off your path. Don't take his hand nor listen to his lies!" And points of light rise up around me illumining not only the Liar but my heart. Would I be so led to darkness when I live in light? Would I break free from the hand of my Father to take the hand of the enemy? My path may be difficult--so many ups and downs--but darkness is impossible. And I can't trust the hands that would take me there.

"You have no right to me, disgusting enemy!" I holler this at him as my Father moves nearer to his face, lighting its visage for me. "Get off my way!"

The enemy shrivels then for my God rescues me from the wicked. We have plans, my Father and I.

My path is well lit behind me. If only I look back to see all the indescribable experiences on the way that have led me to this day on the leaf-covered road, I know, without a doubt, that what is coming up to meet me unexpectedly will be a brilliantly executed addition to the journey. I can see for years, in retrospect and awe, the experiences with my Father on this road trip home have made me rich in relationship. And I've come somewhere! Not just anywhere. And sometimes we skipped, sometimes plodded, once in a while stopped and sat awhile. More than a few times I danced and twirled, more than once I cried with the frustration and confusion of the hike. But always joy in the morning. Sown in the nighttime for my pleasure as the dew settles on the grasses on either side of my walk. And my Father is still there. No matter where. To lead me finally home.

The Lord is God and He has made His light to shine upon us.  Psalm 119:27

No comments:

Post a Comment