Wednesday, August 28, 2013

PSALM 100 - Love Songs

Come into His presence with singing! Know that the Lord, He is God! It is He Who has made us, and we are His. We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.   (Verses 2-3)

But now thus says the Lord, He who created you, O Jacob, He Who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name, and you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you. When you walk through  fire, you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.  Isaiah 43

What makes you sing? Sunshine pouring through your window in the morning when you awaken? Good news? Looking at the ocean, mountains, deserts? Or seeing your child fast asleep in his or her bed at night? There is something that touches the place in all of us that creates heart music. The need to express the beauty and joy we feel with a tap of the foot and an often imperfect tune.

More often than not, it's falling in love. There is an entire industry built around kisses, smiles, holding hands and cheating hearts. All set to a melody we can keep in our heads forever. What is it about being loved that makes us so happy? Being seen. First of all. Someone picked me out of the entire world and sees the beauty in me. And being accepted just like I am (or until the lover discovers my imperfections and bails). Feeling a connection with another human being that validates our own existence is a phenomenon unparalleled by other experiences. Being heard. What I think matters to another person who looks into my eyes and marvels at my thoughts. Lovers can talk for hours and linger at the good-byes with more to say. Being near. Lovers can find each other in a crowd of thousands. Reach for each other from across a room. Just knowing the other is near makes the heart beat faster and joy rise. Ah, love.

And that is what brings us into His presence with singing, isn't it? Love. The joy of the One Who made us opening up His life to us because we belong to Him. God dreamed us up and loves us. Calls us by name. The name He has for me and you. Our Father bought us out of slavery, redeemed us from the evil one, just so we could live with Him forever. Precious to Him are His little lambs. God wants to see me, look into my face as I look into His and converse. I might not be worth much to others in this world, but when I come before my Father, I am special. Not because of anything I've done, but because of His great love for me. It should transform me--make me see myself as He does. Beloved. If that doesn't change me, I don't yet get it. The One Who formed the universe, Who understands it all and oversees its every movement, loves me, has a pet name for me, and wants to spend His time on my life. He's ready to listen. To hear my stuff. It's important to God because it's important to me. He knows when the flood waters are rising, He sees when the fire is hot and is aware of all my trials. Why? Because He is there with me in them. I'm His and don't get very far away from His reach. That's why He tells me not to fear. Sing instead. Lift up my curly head and bellow out a song of salvation. A love song to Jesus. For He is my Beloved and I am His.

No comments:

Post a Comment