Monday, September 16, 2013

PSALM 103 - What's In It For Me?

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits, Who forgives all your iniquity, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, Who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. (Verses 1-5)

What a way to start the week! I couldn't wait to get to Psalm 103 and now I feel daunted at the idea of doing it justice in any way. However, if you awakened with the Monday blues, repeat these verses over and over again to your soul!

Self-talk. What to say to my soul today to enliven and rejuvenate it. Espresso for the spirit. Bless the Lord! Everything in me! A mighty shout. A glorious song. Hands up, head heavenward, cry out, my soul! Because I know this God, my Father, the Savior of my soul and Lord of my life! Exhale the doubt and fear that hides or hovers. Breathe in the joy of sins forgiven and a life redeemed! Whether we feel like it or not today, bless His name! For in so doing, we remember Who He is and Whose we are.

I am a sinner. He is a Savior. My God knows I need to be rescued from my carnality and the repercussions of my bending to it. I must be redeemed from the claws of the enemy of my soul and washed clean of the filth attached to my disobedience and rebellion. My God loves me so much, and He loved me before I ever gave Him a thought. "I will bleed and save her," Jesus declared. "I will enter the amphitheater of her challenge and defeat the roaring lion." But that's not all. Jesus then forgave me all the treachery that brought me to the battle I deserved. Put a royal robe on me and said, "All your sins are forgiven. Every single one. Now and forever more." I don't have to hope He'll look with favor on me. Scared at every turn that if I get it wrong, though I try to get it right, that Jesus will one day look at my puny performance and kick me out of the family. And when I've confessed my sinfulness to Him then bring it up again, my God says, "What are you talking about?  I forgot about all of that. It's back there covered in redemptive blood (Psalm 103:12)."

I am sick. God is my healer. Not just of my physical ailments. Sin makes us sick. Look around. I don't have to look further than the story of my own life. Depression. Fear. Addiction. The mutinies of our souls without Him. He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By His wounds you have been healed. For you were like straying sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls (1 Peter 2). Jailed by the heaviness of my soul's afflictions, I'm hopeless until He touches me. Leprosy of spirit, cancer of soul, diseased of heart and lame, blind and deaf--my condition when we met. Jesus didn't draw back in disgust, though He should have. Instead His holy hand deigned to touch my neediness to trade His purity for my afflictions. Whole now! Bless the Lord, O my soul!

I am a pit-dweller. Jesus if my heavenly SEAL. Sea, air or land. No matter where I dig my pit, no matter how hopelessly stuck I am in its mire, not matter how deep the ocean or how high I float above it all in some sin-induced stupor, my God will find me. Where shall I go from Your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, You are there! (Psalm 139) Made a bed in hell lately? Ever? Personally, I know what it feels like to have Jesus walk into that fiery hot mess and say, "Enough!" I've felt the arms of rescue as He yanks me out of the quicksand into which I've fallen. I've seen the light of day as my Savior brings me up from the darkness of my near demise. Oh, Bless the Lord, O my soul!!! I am delivered from myself.

I am a plebeian. He is a prince. But if all the other benefits weren't enough, Jesus gives me a crown. Blessed is the one who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love Him (James 1). The King of Kings and Lord of Lords has made me His sister. I am a princess. Don't laugh! I am! I'm part of a holy nation, a royal priesthood. Adopted through the blood of Christ into God's own family! Because of His great love and stunning mercy, God chose me before the foundations of the earth to be His daughter (Ephesians 1). He loved me while I was still sinning away. Cognizant or incognizant of His far-reaching knowledge of my every thought and action. My God saw me sweeping chimney ashes, beaten down by my aggressor and decided I needed a pair of golden slippers. The King to Whom I belong is the Wonderful Counselor, the Prince of Peace, Mighty God and Everlasting Father! I may look like Cinderella before the ball, but my Father has given me a royal tiara. More and more I want to be comfortable in the regal garb and act like a proper princess should. Bless the Lord, O my soul! Would you look at me now!

My soul is uniquely unsatisfied in this life. My God renews and satisfies. He made us for Himself. Created us to love. Him. First. When Moses asked to see God's glory, God's answer was, "I will make all my goodness pass before you." Goodness is the very glory of my God. We've been tricked into thinking God only wants to control us. Not so! He wants to be good to us. To be the One thing that deeply satisfies our hearts. To provide for us. To protect us. To teach us wisdom. To give us a hope and a future. Uh...when was the last time our current addictions brought such depth into our puny existence? God wants me strong all the way into His arms. Bless the Lord, O my soul! My God is all I need!

Arms raised! Head heavenward! Heart beating with joy! Bless the Lord! Bless Him with your whole being! He deserves it, enjoys it, waits for it and acknowledges it! O, how I love Him, benefits and all!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment