Thursday, June 14, 2012

PSALM 45 - From Bride to Wife

Your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia.  From ivory palaces stringed instruments make you glad.  Daughters of kings are among your ladies of honor.  At your right hand stands the queen in gold of Ophir. 

Hear, O daughter, and consider and incline your ear.  Forget your people and your father's house, and the king will desire your beauty.  Since he is your lord, bow down to him...All glorious is the princess in her chamber, with robes interwoven with gold.  In many-colored robes she is led to the king, with her virgin companions following behind her.  With joy and gladness they are led along as they enter the palace of the king.  (vs. 8-15)

For Your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is His name.  And the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer, the God of the whole earth He is called.  (Isaiah 54)


Trying to wrap my mind around what it means that Jesus is my husband.  That He has yoked Himself to me in oneness.   On my wedding day, despite the 102 degree heat of a Texas summer and my choice of a winter season wedding gown (I was only 20), all I could think about was being Mrs. Farish.  I am not one of those women who always dreamed of how her wedding day would play out.  Knew from my first Easter dress what I wanted to walk down the aisle wearing.  I actually bought the first dress I tried on with my best friend, Malda, when we went to New Braunfels, Texas, and took over Leah's Bridal Shop for an afternoon.  Though my wedding day was clearly memorable with my bridesmaids decked out in the red dresses they would never wear again and the clinking of punch glasses to the sounds of celebrating guests, I was most excited about being married.  You know, the little apartment with everyone's cast-off furniture and our brand new aluminum dinette with four chairs decorated in flowery vinyl.  Making dinner.  Doing laundry.  Living with my man.  Knowing him intimately.  I left my father and mother that day.  My husband was my life and home.

I remember when I gave my heart to Jesus.  I was six.  Lest there be some doubt that a child that young can know Him, let me just say that I have loved Him ever since.  Imperfectly.  Yes.  But He came into my heart.  If felt almost physical, His entering into the place created for Him alone in me.  Along the way,  I got a little lost.  Had to figure out my relationship with Him.  But He is my Redeemer.  I am His because He purchased me with the dowry of His blood and promised to keep me for Himself.  Since He is my Lord, I bow to Him freely and accept His divine ownership of me, His bride.  Though the day He came into my heart was the significant beginning of our love, richer still is the deepening joy of knowing Him as my Beloved.  I admire His character.  My Maker never lies to me - even when the truth means I have hurt Him, even betrayed His love.  My Beloved will never leave me - never forsake me.  When life deals its worst, He holds my hand, kisses me, and tells me to wait on Him to make it better......and He always does.  My best is what He is always planning toward.  Our future together for eternity is ever on His mind.  We are one, and that makes Him sing over me with joy.  Early in the morning He is there, having watched over me in the night.  Sometimes the road we take is confusing to me and I would veer off course, but His right hand is in my left, and we walk on together.  Even now He is preparing a place for me to live with Him in the splendor of His palace.  Never does He forget me, though my wavering, worldly heart might stray.  Because His love and favor have been poured over me like myrrh and aloes, I stay closer and closer each year we are together.  Bound by His tender heart and unceasing devotion to me.  Wanting to reciprocate the love of my Beloved.  To make this tent in which He dwells clean and bright, light shining in through the windows and pouring out the doors.  Joy, the cause for every need to tidy up the place.  Because on the day His Bride is presented to Him in all her glory, I want to be wearing the brightest linen as I walk toward my Jesus to be presented to Him spotless for eternity.

Let us rejoice and exult and give Him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His Bride has made herself ready!  It was granted to her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure...


No comments:

Post a Comment