Friday, June 22, 2012

PSALM 46 - Sitting Still

Come and see what the Lord has done - the amazing things He has done on the earth!  He stops wars everywhere on the earth.  He stops all bows and spears and burns up chariots with fire.

God says:  "Be still and know that I am God.  I will be supreme over all the nations.  I will be supreme in the earth."  (vs. 8-10)

If there was ever any doubt that God is in control, His statement here should clear that up.  Our God is the last word in this world.  The Almighty Creator of everything is not moving along the timeline of events with us wondering what will happen next.  He sees all of history at one moment - start to finish.  The Alpha and the Omega is the beginning and the end.  It is not man's willing and running but God's will that rules the earth.  There is comfort in that.  Thus,  "Be still."

I must admit that being still is not my forte.  I have trouble with an over-long movie, much less the story of my life!  And....don't tell everyone this...I often read the end of a book before I begin at the beginning.  I know... But that is just the kind of antsy I tend to be.  Perhaps I would read the end of my life if I could...I don't know.  That is a little more personal than say, WUTHERING HEIGHTS.

I don't think I am alone, though, when, in the midst of struggles on this earth, I want to know how it will all turn out.  Will God come through for me?  Will this kill me?   Will I hear God correctly?  Waiting for "joy in the morning."  Sometimes the predicament seems so unfair, and my Father will not let me defend myself.  Sickness, financial difficulties, strife with friends and family - life stuff that can knock us off our feet.  Loved ones in Afghanistan or Iraq.  Real all-out war.  Political upheaval here and abroad.  The stock market spiraling out of control with all our baby-boomer 401K's in the balance.  Problems swarm around us like angry bees distracting us with the swatting of them.  Fighting with a fly swatter what only God can fix.  But will He?  Has He before?

This is when He calls me to be still.  Put the swatter down and think for a minute.  Remember all the times He has been my refuge and my rescue.  Review life up to this point.  My God has been amazing!  Just yesterday I discovered the businesses that I was forced to sell in 2007 were going under.  Not happy for the person who purchased them, but I could see the hand of my Father in the selling of them when I did.  At the time, it was horrible.  Couldn't see what He was doing.  Today I feel rescued.  I am in the midst of a "war" with friends right now over a young woman who needs space to find her voice.  I love my friends and the young woman, so I must still myself before the Father of all of us to see what He will do.  Give the battle to the Lord. 

Being still is only the first step. The second is to "know" that He is Lord.  And know that I am not.  My "fix" on things is usually disastrous.  I am a slow learner.  Taking my hands off and trusting that He knows things I don't know has been a hard lesson.  As a multi-tasker, I want to have the outcome now.  So what do I need to know about my God in order for me to let Him do what I cannot?  He is supreme in all the earth.  My Abba is not too busy with the big things to help me in my puny troubles.  God does NOT help those who help themselves.  I am deeply loved and valued by my Father in heaven.  He feels with me not just for me.  The Almighty God is not surprised by my predicament.  He did not look down today and say, "Oh, my goodness, look at this mess that Kay is in!"  Pretty sure He knows - and knows whether it is a mess I made or a predicament He intends to use for my good.  Either way - no surprises there.  There is no condemnation for those of us who are His.  No saying, "I will smash my child for this!!"   My God is my salvation, my refuge, my fortress, my source, my song, my deliverance, my restoration, my strong tower, my Beloved. 

For I know Whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what He has entrusted me with until that day...... (2 Timothy 1)

Be still......and know.


No comments:

Post a Comment