Thursday, February 21, 2013

PSALM 78 - Flying Stupid

God led His people out like sheep and He guided them like a flock through the desert.  He led them to safety so they had nothing to fear, but their enemies drowned in the sea.  So God brought them to His holy land, to the mountain country He took with His own power.  He forced out the other nations, and He had His people inherit the land.  He let the tribes of Israel settle there in tents.  But they tested God.  Turned against God Most High.  They did not keep His rules.  They turned away and were disloyal just like their ancestors.  They were like a crooked bow that does not shoot straight.  They made God angry by building places to worship gods.  They made Him jealous with their idols.   (Verses 52-58)

Becky and Shawn fell in love during their junior year in college.  Since he was a kid, Shawn dreamed of being a doctor, planned for it, kept his grades on the dean's list, ate, drank and slept being a physician.  All her life, Becky loved to read.  Wanted to write children's books.  Maybe even screenplays for kid-friendly movies.  Several magazines already carried her stories.  She was well on her way to realizing her dreams when she married Shawn a week after they graduated from Stanford.  Medical school was next for Shawn.  They both knew the schedule would be grueling and the money tight.  Becky got a teaching job at a local Christian school, but it didn't pay enough.  She moonlighted with her writing and took a weekend job selling cosmetics at a kiosk in the local mall.  Two years into their marriage, Becky really wanted to start a family.  There was no way they could afford children, so she kept quiet about her desires, not wanting to overburden Shawn.  He had so much pressure from school.  And, besides, there wasn't any time for each other much less a baby.  When her husband was in residency, then she could let up.  Get some sleep.  Relax into a better life.  

There was a nursing student at the hospital.  Shawn thought she was cute, at first.  Nothing more until they began eating lunch together.  Then he would stay late to take her home.  Then he wasn't coming home.  Becky hardly noticed at first.  Her life was so busy making his life work.  That's why it was a surprise when he told her he was leaving her so soon after he started his residency.  Everything she thought they were working toward was sucked into a vacuum.  Vaporized.  Four years of her life, all that work for nothing.  She'd been thrown away.  All she'd aimed for gone crooked.

I feel outrage for Becky when I hear her story.  And I should.  It was she who made Shawn's schooling possible.  She took care of all his needs while he followed his dream.  Her desires took a backseat to making his come true.  He took it.  Then left.  For someone else to enjoy the fruits of Becky's labors.  But wait.  Before I get too ready to take aim at Shawn, I better look at how straight my own arrow flies. 

It is God Who made everything work out for His children as they left Egypt, crossed over the Red Sea on dry land, and made their way to the land flowing with milk and honey.  Look how many times these verses talk about what God did.  He led them, guided them, kept them safe, defeated their enemies for them, went before them to drive inhabitants out of the land He declared to be theirs and He settled them in the land in homes.  God did all that.  They simple took it from His hand.  Then got all fat and happy.  Great big grapes and abundant flocks.  Life doesn't get any better than this.  And they flew from one addiction to another, built up idols on every corner to worship in their salad days.  God who?  All the things their God made possible for them was taken for granted.  And it made God mad.  Like it makes me mad at Shawn.  Taking and taking.  Then loving someone or something else.

You could say that Becky and God knew what they were in for when they loved that way.  You always take a chance that love won't be reciprocated.  Becky should've made Shawn pull his weight.  But the promise was she'd have her time to pursue writing when he was a physician.  God's children promised to love and obey Him in their new land.  But their collective words were as trustworthy as a warped arrow that will always miss the mark.  They only knew how to take.  Felt entitled by the great love shown to them.  Wanting only more.  And different.  Anything to titillate the boredom of relationship with no thought to the cost of their relative ease.  And I am ashamed as I write that I have hurt my Father in this way before.  Forgetting Him in my need for more.  Wondering where He is in a ridiculous fit of forgetfulness concerning where's He's always been.  Fearing tomorrow though He's always led me just so I wouldn't be afraid.  Touching idols for the thrill of it when my God has parted my Red Seas and wiped my tears.  Tested His love.  Broken my God's heart with my hubris.

This is why I love Jesus.  I was not thrown away, but pursued in spite of the crookedness of my flight through heady air.  He grabbed me as I was shooting past Him.  Noticed all the kinks that made me wander from the mark.  Jesus took a carving knife and smoothed me out.  It hurt a little...okay, a lot.  But I was flying stupid.  My heart seeking the bull's eye but settling for the surrounding woods.  Jesus pursued me, His Beloved, when I simply wasn't worth going after.  Made me His again.  Now I aim only for His heart.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment