Wednesday, April 17, 2013

PSALM 84 - Turning the Bitter to Sweet

Blessed are those whose strength is in You, in whose heart are the highways to Zion. As they go through the Valley of Baca they make it a place of springs; the early rains cover it with pools. They go from strength to strength; each one appears before the God of Zion. (Verses 5-7)

For I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13

I used to think that life is a straight line. We walk from childhood into our teenage years then graduate from high school and life finally happens. College. Jobs. Family. Retirement. Death. I was just as surprised as the next girl that it's just not like that at all. I was whiplashed several times in the mighty turnabouts life has dealt me. I am incapable of the journey without a map...and a plan. Only, I have neither without the One Who decided my itinerary here on planet Earth. I am a hobo on a locomotive going nowhere in particular if I'm not on my way eventually to Zion. The way there is charted in my heart--the highway to heaven. The Way, the Truth and the Life now lives in me by the power of the Holy Spirit leading me on and strengthening me for all that lies ahead.

My life is supposed to sweeten the pot, so to speak. The Valley of Baca was a dry and barren place. Maybe sickness, death, abandonment--think of all the hard things we go through. In my most dire hour, because of the strength of purpose given to me by my God, I am to bring water to thirst. To make tragedy a place of springs and pooling water. Because? I'm on my way to Zion with a heartmap that makes the twists and turns down here, where life is an illusion of the real, lovelier because I passed through. Can I do this on my own? Absolutely not! Devastation is devastating. It is Christ in me, the strength of my heart, Who can let me even imagine a crucible of pain turned into joy. But He did it! Cringed naked on the cross of our affliction, crying out to the Father for our forgiveness. Sweetening the horror with purpose and power. Then came roaring from a tomb, pushing aside the mammoth stone that tried to hold Him back. And He lives in me. To the same purpose. To shower the desert that is this life with living water, pooling up in the midst of panic and pain. To honey this life because I know the Way to heaven.

What does it mean that Christ strengthens me? Glad you asked. It means when you understand you can't live the Christian life on your own steam, that Christ in you is your hope. You get a dynamite powered engine (Holy Spirit) that makes living for God finally possible. The mystery of God within us through the death and resurrection of Christ is the secret of our strength. Like Samson's hair made him strong. Our faith is our power, and even that faith comes from Him (Ephesians 2:8-9). The Christian life isn't hard--it's impossible, without Jesus living in us. But, oh, when He moves in! We are able to go from strength to strength because we know the Way. Imagine the map, the driver and the destination all living in me! Showing me purpose in all things. For I am here to neutralize the bitter waters with my life. Not because I have any natural ability to do so. I don't. But He does. Blessed am I when I understand where my strength comes from! Blessed am I when I'm not trying on my own to be a blessing. Blessed am I when my eyes are on the prize and I can say with Paul, in Philippians 3: I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have suffered the loss of all things for His sake and count them rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ. Blessed am I when I am salt and light and don't even know it because it is the overflow of my life in Him. Blessed am I when I know that when I am weak, then I am strong, for His strength is made perfect in my weakness. When life is impossible for us, yet we do it and do it with joy and purpose? That is God in us. Pouring out His character from the pores of our pain.

On our way to Zion, may the world find it a sweeter place for our having been here. But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.    2 Corinthians 2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment