Monday, April 29, 2013

PSALM 86 - I'm All Ears

Incline Your ear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Preserve my life, for I am godly. Save Your servant, who trusts in You--You are my God. Be gracious to me, O Lord, for to You do I cry all the day. Gladden the soul of Your servant, for to You, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.  (Verses 1-4)

Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. To draw near to listen is better than to offer the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they are doing evil. Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore, let your words be few. Solomon.  Ecclesiastes 5:1

Yesterday I sat in church listening to Vanessa lead worship. It is her gift. This leading people into the presence of God. Not only is her voice beautiful, her heart is, too. I breathed to my Father a familiar prayer: "When, Lord, will You allow her to sing full time for You?" My heart was weary as I asked. Because I've asked so many times before. But His answer was surprisingly clear: "I'm the One Who gave her these gifts. I know what I have in mind." Answering my sighing heart more than my actual question. Better to listen sometimes than to speak.

Isn't it awe inspiring to think the Lord of all would sit with us and talk? That yesterday in church He was hearing what I asked? Available to this flawed and hopeful woman He calls His? He is not my friend, my companion, my psychologist--He is my God. Ruler over all of me. King of my life. And I know sometimes I act as though He must do my bidding. Make life happen my way. Pathetic, I know. It is when I listen instead of speaking that I become most wise. When I read the Word and discover His heart, mind and soul, I am secure in His goodness, mercy and love. God tells me in His own words what He has for me. The Holy Spirit within me tells me what Jesus is saying to me. Jesus promised that in John 16: "When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth, for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak, and He will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take what is mine and declare it to you." Jesus speaks directly to us. We should be able to hear Him because He is always telling the Holy Spirit what He wants us to know. The miracle of that is staggering. That is how His sheep hear His voice (John 10). Are we listening? Or talking?

Have you ever been with a friend who just can't seem to hear you out when you are talking? One who constantly cuts in with something to say then doesn't remember where you left off? A good listener is very hard to find. We are so overstimulated and needy when we come before God that it's difficult to sit still and quiet before Him. But you know what? God has important things to impart. Jesus desires to declare it to us! I am encouraging myself today to incline my ear to Him. I already have God's attention. He wants mine! What are we missing out on because we vomit all our needs in prayer, brush our hands together and call it done for the day. Leave Jesus standing there with His mouth open, ready to guide us, when we are long gone.

Here's my prayer today, Jesus. I want to listen. You are in heaven and I, so small, on earth. Let me be taken up in spirit to soar with You on streets of gold today before I walk the pavement of this planet where my feet, oh, so temporarily, make their way on down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment