Thursday, November 7, 2013

PSALM 109 - Just Wait Until Your Father Gets Home!

Lord, my God, help me! Because You are loving, save me. Then they will know that Your power has done this. They will know that You have done it, Lord. They may curse me, but You bless me. They may attack me, but they will be disgraced. Then I, Your servant, will be glad. Let those who accuse me be disgraced and covered with shame like a coat. (Verses 26-29)

"..he who touches you hurts what is precious to ME." God, Zechariah 2

I am so glad that when I'm in trouble I don't have to remind God about how good and godly I am. I don't have to remind Him of all the times I've sacrificed in order to tithe, the number of people I've told about Jesus, the many days I've fasted and prayed. It wouldn't be enough. I'm just not that good. I'd have to be perfect for my God to come to my rescue based upon my righteousness. Good thing He hears me because He loves me.

My mother used to call me "Precious." In the years of my growing up, I never paid much attention to all that meant. I was used to it. In fact, I think it wasn't until I told one of my best friends about seeing Mother's face float before me on the day of her funeral that I grasped how meaningful it was. My friend and I were sitting in a hotel room in Austin, Texas, reminiscing about our college days and catching up on the years since we'd been together when I told her about Mother's death. I ended the story with Mother's words to me in the vision of her. "It's all right, Precious. It's all right." Tears were swimming in my eyes as they always do when I remember the moment. Tears were also running down the cheeks of my friend. I was thinking the visitation from my mother was the thing stirring her so. But, ever honest, she said, "No. It's that she called you 'precious.' My mother never said anything like that to me."

What's it mean to be so to someone? Precious: Rare. Of great value. Highly esteemed. Valued for some immaterial, spiritual or moral quality. That is what I was to my mother. As a parent, I get it now. More precious than anything on earth are my children to me. I, like my mother, tell them that on a regular basis. And when they want me, they don't call and say, "You know I've been a great kid. I've rarely disobeyed and, actually, you owe it to me to meet my need." Not only is that unnecessary, it's insulting. To try to garner my help based on how good they've been instead of asking for it because they know I love them is asking based on a much lesser motive. If they need me, I'm there! Simply because they are precious to me.

The psalmist knew this. Knew to ask God's help based upon His love. It motivates our God in the same way it does any good father. It's not something we think of often, but those who wrong us might just want to watch out. Vengeance belongs to the Lord, and when it comes to His kids, He isn't willing to let them be treated poorly for long. And even when it looks like the enemy wins, let a little time pass and see. There have been several times in my life when "what came around went around" in a way that could only be my Father's doing. When I'm hurt to the core, so is He. Never think our Father turns His head while we go through the fire. And if the fire is part of the plan, He will walk around in it with us!

Preciousness takes off the coat of shame we might be wearing. When we know that we are indeed a rare jewel, a coveted treasure and a valuable child to our heavenly Father, we must trade shame for wonder. Adopted into His family at unfathomable cost to Him, the Father isn't willing to let us be toyed with and crushed. Zechariah continues his vision of God in Chapter 2 this way: "Be silent, everyone, in the presence of the Lord! He is coming out of the holy place where He lives!"
Sounds a little like, "Just wait until your father gets home!" Calling out to the Most High God, Who is also our Father, is a big deal. He's made it so. Expect Him to save you.

He says, "Don't be afraid, because I have saved you. I have called you by name, and you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you. When you cross rivers, you will not drown. When you walk through fire, you will not be burned, nor will the flames hurt you. This is because I, the Lord, am your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior...Because you are precious to Me, because I give you honor and love you, I will give other people in your place. I will give other nations to save your life...I have always been God. No one can save people from My power. When I do something, no one can change it!" Isaiah 43

That's my Abba!

No comments:

Post a Comment