Monday, November 18, 2013

PSALM 111 - Jesus and the Mango Smoothie

I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation. Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them.
(Verses 1-2)

I experienced a bit of push back by the enemy of my soul this weekend. Here's why.

I met a friend for coffee earlier in the week. Well, mango smoothie for me, as coffee past nine in the morning makes me a hyper machine that doesn't shut down until way past when I should've gone to bed. The purpose of our getting together was for my friend to share what's been going on in her work life. To blow off a little steam and get clarity. On my way out of the door, I heard the Lord whisper, "Bring a Bible." So, I left my car running in the garage while I ran back upstairs for one. Left it in the car when I got to the strip mall where we met.

My friend is not a Christian...or was not one. Though she has a heart for God. Always has. And stirring within her recently has been the knowledge that there's something more. A restless heart. She is Jewish. And in a recent conversation I had with her, I told her we have the same God. It resonated with her so that she's been chewing on it since. But I didn't go to the coffee shop to proselytize her. I'm simply her friend. Wanted to give her an ear because I love her.

During our conversation, Vanessa sent me a text. In the middle of a very busy day, Judy (not her real name) had called offering her home once again for my daughter to spend the night instead of making the two hour drive home. Then I told my friend the story of Vanessa's very demanding job, twelve and thirteen hour days, often very late nights, then driving home. Early on I began praying that a woman would come into the upscale hotel in Beverly Hills where Vanessa works as a special events planner and offer our daughter a room or a casita to rent or stay in. And that is what God did. Brought Judy to the hotel. She loved my baby and offered a retreat for her in Bel Air. She often stays there several nights a week. Our God doing amazing things.

My friend couldn't get over it. How God answers prayers like that. He is amazing. "How do you get that kind of relationship with Him?" she asked.

"Jesus," was my answer.

And we talked about Old Testament sacrifices and New Testament covenants. She has a Bible now. Also has a new light in her eyes. Knowing God more fully is a joyful process. I'm just happy to be watching what the Lord is doing in her life.

But as I drove home, talking to my Father, I was struck by how one miracle intruded upon the other. Had Judy not called asking Vanessa to come spend the night, had I not received the text and told the story, the Bible would've possibly have remained in the car and we'd have talked of other things. But God had different plans. Came to sit with us over a mango smoothie and tea. Loves my friend. Is wooing her to Himself. Just as surely as He came to eat with the disciples, walk with the lepers and break bread for the multitudes. Still doing His greatest work of all. Our salvation.

So my weekend was marred by the push back of the enemy. It involved broken glass and feeling stupid. Funny, though, I was well into my irritation with myself before I recognized the real source of it. Jesus is greater than the enemy who would rob me of my peace. I never want to underestimate the miracle of clarity. Never want to forget the authority Christ has given me to speak His name to demons who would slay me. Yes, His works are great! I marvel at them, delight in Him and live to see what my God will do today. I love Him with my whole heart. Can you see me dancing?

No comments:

Post a Comment