Friday, May 2, 2014

PSALM 123 - I've Had More Than Enough of This!

Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy upon us, for we have had more than enough of contempt. Our soul has had more than enough of the scorn of those who are at ease, of the contempt of the proud.   (Verses 3-4)

Mercy triumphs over judgment.  James 2:13

Up for the third straight night stretched out before the Lord in my place of prayer downstairs. I have a burdened heart. Not just for myself, but for others who it seems to me, have just "had enough." Enough of being stuck in the same old rut. Enough of the cancer that ravages the body and the chemo that brings nausea, pain and sleepless, seemingly eternal, nights and days. Enough of struggling for excellence and feeling bypassed and ignored. Enough of praying the same prayers day after day for years without answer or closure. Waiting. Waiting. Enough already!

I read a quote by T. D. Jakes a couple of days ago. "Most believers think God works when the blessing comes. That's not true! God is working on you and your faith when the blessing is delayed!" Or, as Vanessa so poignantly put it, God is teaching us how to trust in total darkness. When we have no idea what He is doing, we need to know that He is "doing." I'm pretty sure what I am learning from my recent experiences and in the onlooker's view of those struggling around me, is to give God credit for working things out in the supernatural that we can't do in the natural. And to have mercy on ourselves, not just on others.

Need a little mercy for yourself today? I do. I've been brutally judging my giftings and abilities the past few days. Wondering if they are usable or if I've squandered a few years of my life on things that God doesn't want to bless. Giving to others the power to define me. A power they don't want, even. You know, that stops us cold when we do that. Puts up a roadblock that says, "You can't" or "You aren't." So, I'm done with that today. Enough is enough. My God says who I am. My Father dictates my self worth. Mercy. Mercy. Let it go. (Sorry for all you mothers who are sick to death of that Frozen song!)

As for the others I cry out for, if today is not the last day of the struggle and the cup of suffering still has dregs to be poured out, I ask our God for mercy there, with all my heart. And grace to push through as Jesus did on the cross. To drink to the last drop until it is finished. To have unfathomable courage to wait for their salvation. I know that many nights they have questioned, "Why the affliction?". What did they do wrong to deserve their horrendous plight? Again, they must have mercy for themselves. Judging the illness to be some retribution from God is counter-productive to relaxing into His will with the knowledge that Jesus is in the suffering with them. Our God drives our lives toward glory in a fallen world filled with disease and disappointment. By His great mercy we are not overwhelmed.

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name. You are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you. When you walk through fire you will not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." God. Isaiah 43

 

No comments:

Post a Comment