Tuesday, May 6, 2014

PSALM 124 - Whose Side is God On?

If it had not been the Lord Who was on our side--let Israel say now--if it had not been the Lord Who was on our side when people rose against us, then they would have swallowed us up alive when their anger kindled against us.  (Verses 1-3)

If God is for us, who can be against us?  Romans 8

When Jesus prayed for us all to be one as He and the Father are one, I know He believed that is not only possible, but necessary. But what happens when we are at odds with our brothers and sisters? When we think we're right and they think they're right and we can't seem to reach an agreement? Or our relationships are breached completely because we can't see eye-to-eye? What then. Which side is God on?

I'm not going to answer that question. I know. Then why ask it, because it happens to all of us if we venture very far from our own front door? I don't know the answer, but I'm swimming in the situation now. A time when those I love with all my heart are estranged over disagreement. And I don't want to be right so much as I want to be precisely in the middle of God's will doing what He asked me to do. I know they feel the same. So, what to do?

In my walk with Jesus I must constantly remember that He isn't always, or maybe ever, doing what I think He is. As He sees the whole of my life stretched out before me, has already walked out there in  the future into the things He's prepared for me, Jesus isn't a bundle of nerves wondering how it's all going to turn out. I know He's on my side. Working out in me what needs to be done. Moving deeply, also, in the lives of my brothers and sisters. And sometimes that looks like we won't ever agree with one another. Where God is taking me because He's on my side leads down a different path. Perhaps I must just wave good-bye for now and press on as they must, too. It's my heart I want to protect in the process. Guarded against judgment, offense and anger. My Father loves all His children the same. And we all need to know Him in ways that are specific to our lives and our purposes. I know I relate imperfectly, often rushing into situations like I'm trying to save a drowning man. It's hard for me to get my heart and mind still. In fact, I'd have to say I know what's wrong with me to a much greater degree than I could break out a list of what's right. Abba isn't about taking sides in an argument. He's about changing our hearts and minds so we look ever more like Him. He's all for that! 

God is on my side. Like a dad who sticks up for his daughter then later tells her what she did wrong...or right. The never-ending process of being a child of His. And if I didn't believe that my Father is on my side...and theirs...I'd be completely swallowed up by circumstances. Bereft and despairing. But I'm not. Today I know He's got us all right there in His hand. I must learn my lessons and move on into God's plans just as those brothers and sisters we find ourselves at odds with must go on. Our unity exists in the fact that we still have the same Father, Who, counter intuitively, can be on our sides when we are on different sides of the fence. And one day, when we gather to dinner together with Jesus, we won't remember what divided us as we sit family style and rejoice in our togetherness. I know we can do better here on Earth. I want that in my own heart to the degree it is up to me. Past that, all I can do is walk on, walk on. If God is for me, for my growth in Him, for the perfecting of my heart and for my brothers and sisters, too, then we won't be swallowed up in anger. What, indeed, would we do if the Lord weren't on our side--say it Christians--what would we do?

No comments:

Post a Comment