Friday, October 3, 2014

PSALM 139 - Penny For Your Thoughts...

How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them. If I could count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with You.  (Verses 17-18)

"When the Spirit of Truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth, for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak, and He will declare to you the things that are to come."    Jesus      John 16

Who has known the mind of the Lord? Who has been able to teach Him? But we have the mind of Christ.  1 Corinthians 2:16      Italics, mine

I'm pretty much a "penny for your thoughts" kind of person. Always wondering what someone else is thinking. I've made mistakes in relationships before assuming someone thought one way when actually I was completely wrong. I've actually had sleepless nights assuming. So how did David praise God for all of His thoughts? How in the world did he even know what God is thinking?

There are at least two ways, according to God's Word. The Bible. The Holy Spirit. The Word of God is alive and active (Hebrews 4:12). A living organism that speaks truth to us as a group and as individuals. It's why Jesus used the Word of God against Satan in His wilderness temptation. Jesus is the Logos of God Who spoke the world in to being, spoke the Bible to those who penned it and speaks through it today to those who read it. Logos relates to the entire inspired word of God.

Within that larger, all encompassing Word, are rhemas. Passages that the Holy Spirit brings to our attention because they apply to a specific current need or circumstance for which He gives comfort, rebuke or direction. It's God speaking to a person from His own Word to tell that person what He's thinking about what's happening to her in the moment. A miracle, really.

I was involved in a thing that wasn't pleasing to God some years ago. I knew it was iffy. I struggled with the right and wrong of it. Daily I had my Bible open before me, praying. On a particular morning, I remember specifically asking God, "What's wrong with me?" I was in the book of Hosea at the time. Reading through. And this verse hit me right in the heart. "Israel has become like a pigeon--easily fooled and stupid." A direct blunt answer to my question. It stopped me cold. I was being stupid. And I knew it. The voice of God confirmed it by a rhema that cut right through to the issue. My Father, talking to me through a specific word. His thoughts on the subject of "me." Millions of people all over the earth may have read that same passage that day and just skipped over it. My God wouldn't let me.

We also know God's thoughts because as Christians His Spirit lives in us. The promise in John 16 is that Jesus will tell the Holy Spirit what to say to us--what the Father in their communications has revealed. He promised (John 10) we'd hear His voice. And that's how we know His thoughts--what's on His mind. And I don't mean like some pastor leaving his church because "God told him to." Specific direction from Christ isn't going to contradict the Word of God. The evening Bible study when I heard the voice of God telling me that we were to pray for the young barren woman sobbing over her inability to have children, I knew praying for her would be in God's general will. But Jesus pointed to Jennifer specifically and said, "Pray for her now." His answer: Not one, but two children! I'm glad we listened that night to the Spirit of God.

Why, then, wouldn't the thoughts of God be the most precious thoughts of all to us? The Creator and Sustainer of everything everywhere is ready to let me know what's on His mind! It's at my fingertips when I page through the Bible. It's in my soul as He speaks comfort, direction, peace, guidance and solace to me, personally, Kay Farish. If you could, wouldn't you want to know the every thought of God? Of course they are too numerous and way too high for us to conceive of all of them, but He stooped (Psalm 18) to Earth to express them Himself! Teaching us. Touching us in the moment when Jesus drove away demons, diseases and dead works!

With David, I rejoice that every day I still have the Holy Spirit in me. When I wake up, He hasn't slipped away from me in the middle of the night. The Great Counselor (Isaiah 9:16), Who never sleeps, is fresh and ready to guide me through the day. To walk with me and talk with me as my constant guide and companion. Jesus wants me to know what He's thinking.The privilege is mine, as a child of God, to access His thoughts and make them mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment