Monday, September 8, 2014

PSALM 136 - Moving On Down the Road

(Give thanks to) Him Who struck down great kings, for His steadfast love endures forever;
and killed mighty kings, for His steadfast love endures forever; Sihon, king of the Amorites, for  His steadfast love endures forever; and Og, king of Bashan, for His steadfast love endures forever; and gave their land as a heritage, for His steadfast love endures forever.
(Verses 17-21)

When I was a kid, my father used to mow the lawn on Saturday evenings. Usually, he'd waited until it grew up pretty high, so maybe not every weekend found him out in the yard. Because I thought it was fun to run around in the swaths Daddy cut through the yard, he'd mow the grass in crazy patterns that I'd have to follow. I'd run behind the mower then all over the yard in the labyrinth my dad created. I'm sure the yard wasn't very pretty when we finished because not only were the swaths in silly patterns, but the newly cut grass was mushed down by my constant running over it. But I was happy, green stained feet and all.

Sometimes that's the way I feel about following my heavenly Father. Like He's cutting swaths in random paths that I follow until my feet turn green. Unlike my daddy, though, this Father has a plan. The journey isn't all fun and frolic. My path is leading somewhere, and He will make sure I get there. No matter what it takes. On an earthly plane, it means I was created with purpose, here, on this planet. Eternally, I'm assured the road cut out of the dust on which I walk will lead to home with Him. It is His covenant promise to me that He'll get me there. As Paul said in Philippians 1:6: And I am sure of this, that He Who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Sihon and Og were evil kings bent on the destruction of God's people. They'd won their land through the bloodiest of regimes. In order for the children of God to get to the land He'd promised them--the life He'd covenanted with them they'd possess--they had to go through Amorite country and face the armies of Bashan who denied them access. It was a war too big for the desert weary people of God to conquer alone. God had to be present in the fight to get His children where He wanted them to go. Their battle was His battle. God knew where to cut the swath and Og and Sihon were obstinately in the way and violently opposed to the invasion of their country by Egyptian refugees. Sounds rather modern day, doesn't it?

What God wants for His people, He gets. One way or the other. Nations, circumstances and powers can bow to that or be decimated in the process. I know to some that sounds cruel of God, but before we blame Him for His steadfast love for those who love Him, we might want to pause. Og and Sihon made choices. Decided to push against the national will of God. What might have happened if they'd given some of their land to the refugees or given them safe passage through. Sounding, once again, modern day?

God sees our individual destinies and the fate of the world as an accomplished thing. He's not waiting with bated breath to see how things will turn out. However, within God's sovereignty we have choices to make. There is personal freedom to choose right in the greater scheme of how it all will eventually come down for mankind. While His eye is on the nations of the world, it's also looking lovingly on His own. From God's viewpoint, there is a swath measured out for mankind, for sure. But our lives, tiny and insignificant in comparison, are no less described and protected by our God. Just as He orders the universe to expand, the rain to fall, and the sun to shine, God also orders the events of His kids in a swath that finally leads us home. So when my little green feet stop at the crossroads and my heart beats hard from running down the path, I must wait to see where my Father next cuts the row. It's up to Him to lead me on down the road. And He will...whatever it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment