Tuesday, September 2, 2014

PSALM 136 - Stomping Off to Bible Study

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever. Give thanks to the God of gods, for His steadfast love endures forever. Give thanks to the Lord of lords, for His steadfast love endures forever, to Him alone Who does great wonders, for His steadfast love endures forever;  (Verses 1-4)

God is never doing just one thing. The events of our lives are multi-layered in tiers that go ultimately to the heart. Three years ago, some ladies in the church I attend hurt me in such a way that it took several weeks for me to sort it out. In the decisions they made about me, their intent was not to wound me. Of this I'm certain. But the manner in which they handled their difficulty with me was hurtful. My battle was to not let Satan turn the hurt into full-blown offense which can only create bitterness. In the wake of this situation, there was a new Bible study being held at the house of one of the ladies. I did not want to go. In fact, told my husband and daughter that I wasn't going. I mean, why would I show up when I felt they didn't want me there? Both Bill and Vanessa told me the "right thing to do" would be to attend the study with a good attitude. I kinda hated them for saying that. Mainly because it was the truth. So I stomped off to the study that night, Bible in hand, doing the "right thing" with a pretty wrong heart.

There was a new woman there. She had short platinum blond hair and was chatty and cute. Before we all settled in on the couch of our hostess to begin watching Beth Moore on DVD, we all shared prayer requests. Jennifer, the new attendee, began to weep as she asked us to pray that she could get pregnant. She and her young husband had been trying to have a baby for six years with no pregnancy. Sobbing then as she cried her misery, I heard the Holy Spirit say very clearly: "Put your hands on her and pray!"

"May we pray for you right now?" I heard myself asking.

"Please," was her plaintive reply as we all gathered round Jennifer and asked God to allow her to conceive. And that was that. She didn't return to the study. I returned only sporadically.

Sunday morning, Bill and I went to church as we usually do. Vanessa and our son, Will, helped lead an amazing worship service. Our pastor gave his usual amazing sermon. As I turned to leave, a young woman came running up to me carrying a toddler in her arms. "Do you remember me?" she asked, tears already streaming down her face. I didn't. "I'm Jennifer. You prayed for me three years ago that I could have a baby, and I got pregnant that very night!" Striding up behind her was her husband with another boy in his arms. Three years old. The fruit of our night's prayer. "This is the baby God gave me," Jennifer said as she stroked the boy's back. "And this is the second boy God gave us!" She couldn't control the tears. "I've thought a hundred times that I need to go to this church to tell you about the miracle God did that night. Yesterday, I knew I had to get here today and show you my boys."

Tears of joy streaked my face, too, as we prayed together, thanking God for the wonders He works. For the generosity of His great heart. For answering the prayers of one woman with a bad attitude who could at least hear Him tell her to pray. I gave thanks for the fact that my Father knew I had a wrong heart doing the right thing and still was able to mesmerize me with His goodness. I gave thanks with Jennifer and her husband that every time she looks at her three-year-old, she sees the steadfast love of a God Who works wonders when we ask.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment