Tuesday, September 23, 2014

PSALM 138 - Tuesday Blues

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You preserve my life. You stretch out Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand delivers me. The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me. Your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of Your hands.
(Verses 7-8)

He Who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it at the day of Jesus Christ.
Philippians 1:6

There is a path before each of us that leads up a road paved with purpose. Specific purpose. Along the road are thorns and thistles, mountains and streams, deserts and valleys, snow and sunshine. It's not a straight road, but winds here and there, taking us into countries we've never heard of and feel ill prepared to travel through. There are also forks in the road. Confusing to our sensibilities. Which one? An opportunity for faith? A diversion for us to choose? All leading to the same place, perhaps. And lest we think the path leads to our one purpose, we find gratifying joy and aching growth all along the way. It is the path that is purposeful. And the road leads home.

I've been up since two-thirty this morning grappling with purpose, so it's interesting that this should be the portion of Psalm 138 that has been divinely assigned to me today. To have to look at the quandary: What am I doing with my life right now? It seems to me that I've been called to just do it in my journey. Without the compensation the work deserves. Either to me personally as in "Great job, Kay!"  Or monetarily as in money. It's led me to ask on several occasions, probably ad nauseam to my Father, "Where are we going?" The obvious answer is, "Not where you thought we were going."

That's all right with me as long as I know I'm on the right path, the one where He holds my hand and leads me on. I will confess to being an over-achiever...I like A's. Or A+'s. I feel like a C student right now. And I'm working really hard on this gravelly road to Him. Maybe too hard. I think He would say to me this morning to enjoy the journey a bit more without the stress of the outcome...or income. It's all purpose. No twist or turn unproductive. Nothing surprising my Father. Oh, my I didn't see that coming sort of thing. I might feel lost. He never is.

There is an enemy standing in the way sometimes. His foot stretched out across the way to trip me up when I come along. And,  man, has he kicked me about at times. Yelling, throwing rocks, cursing at me, bringing shame to the very path I cling to. Wrenching me from the hand I was holding. Lying to me that the path goes nowhere. And if it did, I'm not good enough for the destination. The enemy is a robber. Wanting to take all the gifts my Father has given to me. To open each one and laugh that I thought myself good enough for such stuff. There's trouble on the trip. Don't think it's always going to be easy. But it is always going to be worth it! I've seen my Father slap the enemy away from me. He's even told me I can do that myself...in His name. To clear the path ahead of even the shadow of the thief.

Jesus promised He'd keep us. Present us one day to the Father as those who belong to Him. In fact, right before His death, Jesus prayed this prayer: "I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that You keep them from the evil one." That God not forsake us on our way home. That He fight for our hearts and minds. Push away the scoundrel who would darken our footpath, snuff out our joy and kill our purposes. So maybe the path isn't very clear on down the road today for me or, maybe, you. But I'm up for a new day. It's all I really have. The light to my feet sheds enough clarity that I know what I'm going forward into on Tuesday, September 23, 2014, the Lord willing. I have purposes that are not circumstance specific. Be salt and light. Trust in the Lord with all my heart and don't try to lean on my own understanding. Enjoy Christ. Love others. Live in peace as far as it is in my power to do so. Share the gospel. Listen to the voice of my God. I've got lots to do that has nothing to do with Tuesday, but has everything to do with eternity. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment