Friday, September 9, 2011

Psalm 6 - Future Rescue

David believes God has heard his cries even before God actually answers his prayers!  Now that is a novel idea, huh?  That we would have enough faith after our crying out to God to pronounce to our enemies..."LOOK OUT!"  My bed is soaked with tears, my eyes are sore and tired from my sobbing, my bones ache from anxiety, but I have prayed and I have been heard and my God will answer.

Away from me all you who do evil, for the Lord has  heard my weeping.  The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer.  All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish; they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame. (vs. 8-10)  David did not call on God in hope that He exists.  This was not a foxhole prayer, though our God hears those, too.  This anxious prayer of David was delivered to the sovereign God of everything by a man who knew the heart of his Creator.  It is quite simple actually:  I have prayed.  God has heard.  God has sent the answer. 

This is God's message, the God who made the earth, made it livable and lasting, known everywhere as God:  "Call to me and I will answer you.  I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own." (Jeremiah 33:3)   This is a promise you can take to the bank.  You call.  He answers.  So simple a child can understand.  Yet so complex.  He will tell us things we could not possibly understand lest He reveals them to us.  The sovereign God reaches to us in  order to have a conversation with us about life.  Can you sit still for that?  Can you wait throught the how long? of your prayers to hear Him talk to you about what He is doing? 

Remember Daniel (Daniel 10) had prayed for understanding, but his answer was delayed.  He waited three weeks while a heavenly battled ensued over his request.  An angel ultimately enters Daniel's room, touches him, and his presence is so radiant that it sends Daniel, shaking from terror, to his hands and knees.  The first words out of the mouth of that angel, though, are:  "Daniel, God loves  you very much."   Even now that makes me tear up.  Daniel's prayer was not answered immediately, so God first and foremost wants His child to know that it is not because he is not loved.  There are other things going on that Daniel cannot see.  "Since the first day you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them, " the angel continued. 

Maybe you have not had an angel tap you on the shoulder with the answers to your prayers recently.  But make no mistake about it, your prayers are heard by a Father who can turn your mourning into dancing and give you comfort and joy instead of sorrow (Jeremian 31).  Jesus told his disciples right before he died on the cross that He will not have to ask the Father for us since the Father Himself loves us because we have loved Jesus and believed He came from God.   Prayer not immediately answered is not a sign that God does not love you or that there is no God anyway.  Don't let the enemy tell you those lies.  Know you are heard by a Father who loves you very much and that your answer is on the way.  Walk in the confidence that the Almighty God can fight everything in heaven and on earth to get your answer to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment