Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Psalm 8 - Dominion

Dominion is one of those words that you think you can define until someone asks you what it means.  To rule, I would say, but that doesn't really cover it all.  So I looked it up both in the Hebrew of its context in Psalm 8 and in the plain old dictionary.  Synonyms:  rule, authority, control, dominance, domination, grasp, mastery, grip, command, jurisdiction, power, sovereignty, sway, ascendancy, preeminence, primacy, supremacy.  Whew!  Even the dictionary could not pin it down to just a couple of words.  Psalm 8 tells us that God has crowned us with glory and majesty and given us dominion over the works of His hands.  Hands here comes from the Hebrew word that denotes power or strength.  He gave us authority over the work of His strength or strong hands. Thinking about that this morning. 

God created everything, then us.  He set us in the midst and said:  "This is yours to rule."  Of all His creations, we are front and center.  Crowned!  Majestic and glorious.  Feeling it?  I have not brushed my teeth yet this morning, so glorious is not the word I would use for my straying hair, unwashed face and coffee breath.  It is in us that God breathed His breath.  It is to us He sent the Holy Spirit to make His home in us.  We are responsible for the earth's upkeep.  We rule it with "supremacy." 

There are two reactions to this knowledge.  #1.  Oh, my God! I cannot be expected to take care of all of that!  #2.  Where do I start?   A third reaction is David's.  Why would God use man when he is so small in the great scheme of things?  What is my place in all of this?

You wear a crown today.  It drips majesty and glory.  Kabowd.  Weightiness.  Splendor.  You are the supreme creation and you are made to rule.  Are you?  We need to know this about ourselves so that we are not swept away in this world into the sea of humanity with lost purpose.  We live with a "weightiness" because we are designed by God to do something no one else but we can do.  I have not been called to be the President of the United States (yet) or head of the U.N.  But I do have things under my control, not the least of which is how I control myself.  Before me today is a new set of challenges over which I have supremacy, rule, authority and power.  I want to wear my "crown" with dignity and rule with wisdom in the realm in which my God has set me.  You have made him a little lower than God, and have crowned him with glory and majesty. (vs.5)

No comments:

Post a Comment