Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Psalm 9 - Scram!

There are many distinct advantages to knowing the King.  The most important might be that He is on your side.  His judgments are skewed toward your vindication because you pay homage to Him when your enemies do not.  Our particular King, Yahweh, the Sovereign over everything, knows everyone's heart and everyone's path.  Vindication is, therefore, supremely just when He decides what to do. 

When my enemies retreat, they stumble and perish before You.  For You have upheld my just cause.  You are seated on Your throne as a righteous judge. (vs. 3-4)  I was speaking with a young woman a few days ago who said she has no enemies so the verses that speak of evil against her don't really seem to apply.  I know that in this age we do not go out hand to hand and beat each other up on a daily basis.  There is not a season when the kings go out to war as they did in David's day.  But make no mistake.  We have an enemy lurking about looking for a good meal.  And, though I don't feel I have a human enemy trying to devise evil against me today, I know I am at war with the agreements with the enemy of my soul, with addictions, attitudes, generational curses, and the very demons from hell that would destroy me (John 10).  They are not front and center in my mind today because I know who fights my battles with me....and I know He wins.

As I was thinking about this psalm today I could not help but go to Deuteronomy 28.  There is a list of blessings for those who follow the Lord:  All these blessing will come and overtake you because you obey the Lord your God:  You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country.  Your descendants will be blessed and your land's produce, and the offspring of your livestock, including the young of your herds and the newborn of your flocks.  Your basket and kneading bowl will be blessed.  You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out. The Lord will cause the enemies who rise up against you to be defeated before you.  They will march out against you from one direction but flee from you in seven directions. 

I love the picture of the army marching on me coming from hell to destroy me, like ants in a line.  But the Lord so defeats them that they run scared in every direction in an effort just to get away from me as fast as they can. 

How victorious am I going to be today?  How much time am I going to spend in bitterness against someone who has viciously hurt me?  Am I going to waste emotional and spiritual energy trying to devise payback?  I hope that I will trust my God, the King, to judge between me and my enemy.  Let unforgiveness go.  Let the Judge vindicate me.  Remember that He sits on His throne and upholds my cause if it is just. Remember that He sits on His throne and lets me know if I am wrong, not just that I have been wronged.  I will allow Him to vindicate or correct today because this Judge is always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment