Monday, October 10, 2011

Psalm 11 - Fly Like a Bird

I trust in the Lord for protection.  So why do you say to me:  "Fly like a bird to your mountain.  Like hunters, the wicked string their bows; they set their arrows on bowstrings. They shoot from dark places at those who are honest. When all that is good falls apart, what can people do?"

Wow!  Great question!!  What do we who know God do when all that is good falls apart?  Lots of things.  Most of which are counterproductive, of course.  The best advice for David was "fly like a bird to your mountain."  Run away.  Get the heck away from the problem.  As far away as you can.

Hmmmm.  I have found that in the running away, I take the problem with me.  Well, I must admit, that possibly, unlike David, I am often my problem.  But let's say I am not the cause of my present trouble.  Everything has fallen apart around me.  My enemy, the ruler of this present world, has emptied his quite healthy arsenal of weaponry on my puny self. This little bird that I am, defenseless except for my tiny wings that can fly me away from the situation.  Where is my mountain?  What is my mountain?  I think if we take the advice given to David, we might just choose the wrong mountain. ( I have.... )

So, what to do when things fall apart.  Because they will.  If you live long enough, they will fall apart more than once and we cannot always just fly off to whatever comfort we choose.  David asks a great question, too.  Why?  Why do you tell me to run from my troubles.  The King was a warrior.  Mighty in battle.  Had killed lions and bears and giants.  He knew where his strength came from.  He was no little bird.  And he wasn't flying anywhere.  Except to the Lord, his Protection.

The Lord is like a strong tower; those who do right can run to Him for safety. ( Proverbs 18:10)  Run there, mighty warrior.  It is not for the faint of heart - this Christian walk...er..warfare.  On the battlefield that is our daily life, there is only one place to which it is safe to run.  Hide in the tower of His might.  Press into its inner chambers and rest in its light.  He has not called you to fight without weapons.  But when the battle is not going all that well, Run!!!!!  Into Him.  And you will be saved!


No comments:

Post a Comment