Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Psalm 13 - Get Out of My Head!

How long shall I take counsel in my soul?

I spend an exorbitant amount of time living in my head.  That is not always a good thing.  I like to problem solve.  I love closure.  So, I dream up alternative fixes for every situation that I need an answer for.  Usually, I settle on one that I just know will be the outcome.  There!  Closed!  Don't have to think about it any more.  Except, I am often wrong, looking for something to happen that is not going to.  In my confusion, I have blamed God, in the past, for not coming through on what I had decided He was going to do.  He took the fall for my wrong scenario.

I love the story of Jesus and His mother, Mary, at the wedding in Cana.  They have all wined, dined and danced when the wine runs out.  Not a good thing to happen in the middle of a wedding.  Mary gets wind of the situation.  Her first thought is: "Jesus will fix this."  How did she know that?  She could not have believed that He and his friends were going to the local Albertson's to buy a couple cases of cheap wine.  Something in the history she had with her son made her know that He would do something out of the ordinary to fix this ordinary situation.  Not only that He could, but that He would.

Mary finds her son milling around the guests and pulls the sleeve of His tunic.  "Jesus, they have no more wine."

"Why are you telling me this, dear woman.  My time has not yet come."  But it was his mother who tugged at His clothing, looking with the greatest confidence into His eyes. 

Mary knows her son.  So, she goes to the servants, who are sweating over the party problem, and says to them:  "Do whatever He tells you to do."

That is what I should always be doing.  "Whatever He tells me to do."  Not telling Him what I think He should do.  It will probably not be any way I expect, anyhow.  I mean, who would have thought to tell Jesus to have the servants fill ceremonial washing jars full of water.  How could that make wine?  The questions I have about that fix are long and logical.  Therefore, my solution would be unimaginative and mundane.  It would not thrill me the way His plan does.  His thoughts are higher than mine. And He has a great deal more power.

A while ago the Lord gave me a visual of myself that I must refer to often in my walk with Him...er..ride with Him.  While I was praying, telling Him how to resolve my issue, I was taken in my mind to a car. I was in the front passenger seat and God was driving.  I could see His profile, the set of His jaw.  Not His face.  He asked me a question:  "Kay, wouldn't you be more comfortable in the back seat?"

I was immediately transported to the back seat, and I was six years old.  The window was rolled all the way down and summer air was blowing into my face.  I could feel the warmth of the sun on my skin.  Not a care in the world.  "See, there?"  He asked.

I am more comfortable in the back, letting my Father drive.  Like Mary, I need to just say: "Lord, do whatever You will."  He doesn't need my feedback.  The wedding would have been a bust had I been Mary, telling Jesus and his buddies to go to 7-Eleven to buy a bunch of Bud Light.  He had something way more exciting in mind.  I couldn't have dreamed it up no matter how many nights I had stayed up building imaginary endings to the story.  It is His desire to thrill us.  To get the best wine the best way.  And for us to leave it with Him, like Mary did.  Can't you just see her walking away from the servants absolutely confident that her son would take care of everything?  No worries.  She cast her care on Him, took off her sandals, and danced!

No comments:

Post a Comment