Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Psalm 12 - Alone

Help, O Lord, for there is no longer anyone who is godly.  The faithful have disappeared from humankind. (Verse 1).

Ever trusted in someone you thought would never fail you?  Lying in the arms of your lover thinking your soul mate is finally here.  Gone into business with someone who you thought had such a great idea and such energy for the project at hand.  Been promised by a friend that she would never talk about you behind your back.  She would be your BFF. And then had that very person be the most unsafe of people?  Had a son or daughter betray the very umbilical that should have brought trust to the relationship?

Then you know what David is talking about.  Who, really, is faithful anymore?  Where did they go?  I had to think of the book of Micah, chapter 7:  How sad for me!  For I am like one who - when the summer fruit has been gathered after the gleaning of the grape harvest - finds no grape cluster to eat, no early fig, which I crave.  Godly people have vanished from the land.  There is no one upright among the people.  All of them wait in ambush to shed blood.  They hunt each other with a net....The best of them is like a brier.  The most upright is worse than a hedge of thorns.....Do not rely on a friend.  Don't trust in a close companion.  Seal your mouth from the woman who lies in your arms......BUT I will wait for the Lord.  I will wait for the God of my salvation.  MY GOD WILL HEAR ME.

Sighing yet?  I did when I read this again.  Once again the knowledge that if I put my trust in people...even those closest to me...to be absolutely faithful to me, I will be disappointed.  Many of them mean well, I know.  I have recently been so disappointed by a friendship that I spent two days on the floor of my bedroom crying out to God in what amounted to grief over the loss of it.  She betrayed me in such a way that I cannot even understand it.  Probably not because she is unrighteous, but because she did not have much discernment.  Crushing all the same.  And it makes me not want to share deeply with others for fear of once again being misunderstood and left barren and vulnerable.

Here's the thing.  God hears me.  Not just what I am saying.  He gets ME.  Where I am coming from.  What I mean when I tell Him my heart.  So, with Micah I must say, I will tell my deepest stuff ONLY to God because only HE is trustworthy in this screwed up world we live in.  He not only listens.....He hears.

No comments:

Post a Comment