Monday, November 14, 2011

Psalm 16 - Suspended in Mid-Air

Keep me safe, O Lord, because I trust in You.  I say to the Lord, "You are my God.  Every good thing I have comes from You." (vs. 1-2)

Times are a little iffy at the Farish home right now.  We are kind of hanging in the heady air that tests of faith create, waiting to see what our God will do.  No ground beneath our feet, we are suspended, but not falling.  Not looking at the depth to which we would crash if God does not come through.  That is where the enemy would have us fixate our attention.  Instead, with great resolve, we are looking up.  That is where our help comes from.  We cry out, "Keep us safe, O Lord.  Our trust is in You!"

He is my God and there is such a litany of good things that have come, undeserved and unearned, from His hand to my life that I know He is trustworthy to catch us now.  As a matter of fact, Every good and perfect gift comes from God.  These good gifts come down from the Creator of the sun, moon and stars, who does not change like their shifting shadows.  God decided to give us life through the Word of truth so that we might be the most important of all the things He has made.  (James 1)

Good things in my life:  My salvation that brought me into the family of God, the Father, my own family, my health, my relative wealth, my giftings, my friends, my house and car and "stuff," my country, my new knees, living at the beach, God's continuing deliverance in me, my  peace, joy, and purpose.  These all from the immutable God who deigns to make me one of the most important things He has made.  He loves me.  I still am unaware, in my own finiteness, how much He has chosen to give His heart to me and all of His creation.  The cross is there to give us an idea.  So is the life of the God-man Who died there.  Calloused, sun-burned hands that reached into the dirt, spit on it and placed the concoction on the eyes of a blind man.  Sitting alone by a well at midday, He waited for the woman everyone else shunned to bring her water jars so that He could personally reveal Himself to her and let her know God loves her.  Mourners following the casket of a dead child find him restored to life because the heart of Jesus was moved by their sadness.  Empty wine bottles at a wedding spelled disaster for the party, but Jesus made a better vintage, saving the best wine for last.  This is what God is like.  Involved.  Bringing His life into ours...or, maybe better, bringing our life into His.

Unlike earthly things, my God does not change.  The sun, moon and stars, though set in their orbits, create shifting shadows that tell us something different depending upon the time of day or time of year.  The immutable God created things that change all around us.  But He is the constant at the center of it all.  He is my constant.  I can trust that He is always the same - yesterday, today and forever.  If He promises - He will come through.

So, today, I know that my God shall supply all of my needs through His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.  (Philippians 4:19)  I don't know how.  That is up to Him.  It will thrill us and surprise us because His ways always do.  I am looking up to the God in Whom I trust and making every effort to enjoy and embrace this suspension in mid-air, remembering that every good thing I have comes from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment