Thursday, November 17, 2011

Psalm 16 - My Love Song

Lord, You are my portion and my cup of blessing.  You hold my future.  The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.  Indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. You reveal the path of life to me.  In Your Presence is fulness of joy.  In Your right hand are eternal pleasures. (vs 5,6,11)

I have read these verses over several times this morning, and they continue to bring tears to my eyes.  It is my love song to my God.  Oh, how I love Him.  He has always blessed my life with good things, even when times were stormy and I was far away.  He is always faithful. I am a joint heir with Christ, receiving all He receives.  That puts my life on a wholly different plane than I am usually aware of.  I am remembering the words of Jesus in His prayer:  "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

I think my prayers tend to be asking God to make things in heaven as they are on earth.  Do what I need You to do here, in other words.  These verses today have caused my heart to cry out for Him to do here with me what He does in heaven.  Where my inheritance is.  Where HE is.  To bring me into His presence, not His presence to come into my every situation.  To think like HE does.  To  understand the evanescence of this life and trade its troubles for the fulness of joy His presence brings even here.  To truly understand that if He is my cup of blessing, I need not look elsewhere. 

Does He satisfy?  Is He enough?  In Jeremiah 3, God shares His heart like this:

"I thought:  How I long to make you my children and give you a desirable land, the most beautiful inheritance of all the nations.
I thought:  You will call Me, my Father, and never turn away from Me."

With tears now streaming down my face, I just must express that I love this Father more than anything!  He longs to give us the most desirable things.  Not just here.  Think bigger!  If things are to be on earth as they are in heaven, then the larger reality is there, and here is just a shadow of it.  That is why God can know our path.  He has walked it first.  He has taken His scythe and cut the weeds and thorns so we can walk it straight to Him.  It leads to fulness of life and pleasures forever more.  Not to the next job or the next breakthrough for which we desperately pray.  Not that those are unimportant to Him.  They are!  But they are not the end in themselves that we often see them to be.  If they do not lead us to take His strong right hand and trust the warmth of its reality, then we are wandering aimlessly down a path of our own making, going literally God knows where.

So I ask again, Is He enough?  My answer.  More than enough.  If we are looking to mend our broken hearts with anyone or anything else, we take at least second best.  Jesus said He came to give us life, and that to the fullest! (John 10:10)  So what is with our groveling and complaining?  Why are we walking around emptied of joy, crouching in fear, and plagued with doubt?  What is the answer to this life devoid of all that Jesus died to bring us?  I propose it is this:   Get into His presence.

Last time you spent an hour with the Lord.  Go!

Yes, I know.  You are busy.  Me, too.  But He, our Father, longs for us to be His children.  Yearns to be with us.  Doesn't that do something to your heart?  It breaks mine.  It softens mine.  It calls me to Him, crying,  "Abba, Father....dear Father!"

Taste today, and see that the Lord is good.  Find the pleasure here on earth that is generated from His throne in heaven...pleasure not remotely available anywhere on this earth no matter how high the high.  The God who made all things for His pleasure delights most in you, the highest of His creation.  He looks at you longingly today for the chance to satisfy your heart with pleasures forever more.

I am going to pray now.  I cannot see what I am writing anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment