Friday, November 25, 2011

Psalm 17 - Occupy Everywhere

Lord, save me by Your power from those whose reward is in this life.   They have plenty of food.  They have many sons and leave much money to their children.  Because I have lived right, I will see Your face.  When I wake up, I will see Your likeness and be satisfied.  (vs.14-15).

Occupy Everywhere is under way.  The so-called 99 percent is up in arms over those whose reward is in this life.  Lots of money.  Lots of food.  Mega-inheritances stored up for their snobby rich kids.  The 1% are wicked.  The rest of us are sanctimoniously entitled.

Hmmm.  Really?  I would say that the values of the 1% are the same as those of the 99%.  Both are basing their lives on riches.  Worldly gain.  Thinking that is what satisfies.  The 99% think if they had some of the money going to the 1% they would be happy.  Wondering if that is true.  Wondering if gain brings us soul-satisfaction.

I know of a young college graduate who, along with the other 90% of her graduating class last year, had a difficult time finding a job.  Her heart's desire is to help young women who are victims of the sex trade.  So, she moved in with her grandmother and volunteered at a pretty high risk (to her) facility that houses women who have been abused and/or sold as objects.  She worked late, long hours while preparing for her wedding to boot.  Her life counted even though she was unpaid for her internship.  Today, she works full time for an organization that is dedicated to aiding these women.  But, her original heart was to make a difference whether she was paid or not.  She worked hard so that she could now work hard.

There is plenty to do in this crushingly oppressive world in which we live.  Doing what matters.  Yes, there are those who become wealthy without morality.  But there are those who stay poor without it, too.  Joblessness has hit our family, also, so I am aware of the economics of the Occupy crowd.  But if they are looking for wealth to be their satisfaction, they will be sorely disappointed. 

The key is to be content either way.  To know that your way is guided by a God who does not disappoint.  That your treasure is in Him.  "Don't store treasures for yourselves here on earth where moths and rush will destroy them and thieves break in and steal them.  But store for yourselves treasures in heaven where they cannot be destroyed by moths or rust and where thieves cannot break in and steal them.  Your heart will be where your treasure is." (Matthew 6)

It always comes back to the heart, doesn't it?  I am part of the 99%, too.  I don't make a million dollars a year.  Should I expect to?   Fortunately, by His grace, I know where my treasure is in an ultimate sense and on a practical level.  Am I doing what He asks of me today?  I want to with all my heart.  He is my hope not only for today, but for eternity when I will see His face.  I don't want my heart to be all about hating someone else for having money, especially if they came by it corruptly.  I want to live by a positive, not a negative. 

"All those who stand before others and say they believe in Me, I will say before My Father in heaven that they belong to Me.....Those who try to hang onto their lives will give up true life.  Those who give up their lives for Me will hold onto true life." (Matt. 10)

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life.  It was shining like crystal and flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the street of the city.  The tree of life was on each side of the river.  It produces fruit twelve times a year, once each month....The throne of God and of the Lamb will be there, and God's servants will worship Him.  They will see His face and His name will be written on their foreheads.  (Revelation 22)

Whether I occupy this tent in which I exist here or wake up occupying a new one there, I want to be about doing what He has called me to do.  I am not judging the hearts of those who feel compelled to throw up a dwelling in downtown Everywhere. I don't know what their motives are, really.  I just know that I have been adopted into a family with a Father Who provides for me here and feeds me there.  So, wherever I "wake up" I know that I am His.





No comments:

Post a Comment