Monday, November 28, 2011

Psalm 18 - Who Is Your Enemy?

I love you, Lord, my strength.  The Lord is my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my God, my mountain where I seek refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I was saved from my enemies. (vs. 1-3)

Who is your enemy?  David spoke the words of this psalm to the Lord on the day the Lord rescued him from the  hand of all his enemies and the hand of King Saul.  He starts with:  "I love you, Lord."  Can you see David standing there on the plain with the enemy either scattered dead around him or having fled from before him in the wake of God's intervention in his life?  He cannot believe the magnitude of the victory.  Sweat and blood are caked on David's brow because the battle was fierce and he was losing it.  With the swords of the enemy clanking over his head and the sounds of battle escalating, David screams out, gladiator-like to his God.  "Save me!" 

The Lord heard and hid him behind a rock, built a fortress of angels around him, became the high mountain into which David ran, stood there on the plains in His glory and routed the enemies of his child.  When the battle was at its bleakest, God thundered in and saved the day. He was David's defense.

Most of us are not on a literal battlefield today.  But if we think we did not get up today to do war with our enemy, we could be making a deadly mistake.  Armor up!  Think Braveheart.  Because your enemy waits for you to let your guard down. 

Addiction?  Depression?  Fear?  Finances?  What threatens to overcome you? 

The ropes of death were wrapped around me.  The torrents of destruction terrified me.  The ropes of Sheol entangled me.  The snares of death confronted me.  I called to the Lord in my distress, and I cried to my God for help.  From His temple He heard my voice, and my cry to Him reached His ears.  (vs. 4-6)

David's picture of himself entangled in the ropes of death while torrents of water rolled over him is a terrifying prospect of his envisioned death.  Houdini could not save himself from such a trap.  David cannot free himself from the web of ropes nor stop the raging water from coming toward him....no escape is in sight.  Only God can save him now. 

Ever thought why God might have allowed you to be overwhelmed?  Growing tired of trying to save yourself?  Does your addiction or attachment get harder and harder every day to keep up?  It takes its toll on you and leaves you daily less able to get free of its webbing.  Wearying of giving God ideas about how to get you through your present problems?  Do what David did.  Cry out to your God!  He waits to do for you what you cannot imagine!  Get your hands off the wheel and let Him drive the getaway car.  Stop meddling in His provision.  Stand up in your battle and see Him coming in His chariot...oops...that is for tomorrow.

If you do not think God hears you, you will still fight your battles alone.  Not because He is not faithful, but because you will call out to Him and then go and do it by yourself again.  He is not just your failsafe...He IS your deliverance.  If the ropes of death have ensnared you and the crushing floods of this life have overwhelmed you, praise Him because only He can move in to show You His strength and save you.  Then, with David, you will stand on your battlefield the victor, head swimming, legs shaking, and hands lifted to the only One Who could have delivered you.  Then with him you will praise your God, your Deliverer, your Mountain, your Shield, your Salvation, your Strength, your Stronghold and your Rock!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment