Friday, December 2, 2011

Psalm 18 - What More Can I Say?

Lord, You give light to my lamp.  My God brightens the darkness around me.  With Your help I can attack an army.  With God's help I can leap over a wall. (vs. 28-29)

Ever stumble around in the dark?  I have.  It is very awkward, to say the least.  To discover the worst, it is dangerous.  You cannot see where you are going, of course, so you do not know the way.  That, in a literal and spiritual sense, is the reason we need God to "light our lamps."  To "brighten the darkness." How does He do that?  By the Spirit and the Word.  He is a "lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."  Not a floodlight illuminating the rest of our lives in streaming video before us.  A foot lamp.  Take a step. More light. Take another step.  A little more light.  Showing us the way, step by step.  It  takes faith, but not so much as navigating in the darkness does.  Then your faith is only in your own knowledge of what you think lies ahead.

You might find yourself attacking an army without troops if you navigate the way yourself.  I have tried that. Got really bloodied in the process.  Then there are the battles I call out to Him for and it is amazing how the enemy is routed by a sword I am not wielding.  My God fights for me...remember?  Because He delights in me.

The ways of the Lord are without fault.  The Lord's words are pure.  He is a shield to those who trust Him.  Who is God?  Only the Lord.   Who is the Rock?  Only our God.  God is my protection.  He makes my way free of fault.  He makes me like a deer that does not stumble.  He helps me to stand on steep mountains.  He trains my hands for battle so my arms can bend a bronze bow. 

You protect me with your saving shield.  You support me with Your right hand.  You have stooped to make me great.  You give me a better way to live, so I live as You want me to.  (vs. 30-35)

I like the contrast in these verses.  First David looks at God as the Commander of  the army.  The One Who trains him for war.  The One not only Who trains us, but the One for Whom we fight!  Our God!  Our Rock!  Our Redeemer!  He is the One Who makes us free from our many faults.  Came and took our place so that our punishment was on Him.  So He is the One Who makes us worthy of the battle in the first place.  That pretty much makes Him ....well, everything.

Next David speaks directly to our God.  Because He has stooped to gently teach us, as a father does with a young child, we understand there is a better way to live than by our own strength.  We are supported by His hand and protected by His shield.  Why wouldn't that make us feel every day like we could leap over a wall!!  Makes me want to dance right now!

The Lord lives!!!  My Rock be praised!! Praise the God Who saves me!!! (vs. 46)



No comments:

Post a Comment