Monday, December 12, 2011

Psalm 20 - A Dying Mother's Prayer

Before she died, my mother wrote a letter to us, her daughters, and to our husbands, to be read at her funeral when she knew she would be present before His throne.  In part, her letter read:

As I stand before Him today and look into His face, these are my requests of Him for you......As their Creator, Lord, don't ever let them become complacent about or lazy with their miraculous gifts.  May they use them, Lord, to fulfill the separate, individual destinies for which You created them.

For all these, my grandchildren, I give you thanks today, Lord, and praise You for the short time You loaned them to us. Bless them, protect them, and help them with Your daily intervention, to find what they were born to be, and then give them the grace and power to do it.

David's prayer in Psalm 20 reminds me of Mother's heart when she prayed over our destinies.  I know this was so on her mind because, after my father was arrested in 1985, as she was dying from cancer, she questioned why she had ever been born. What had she done with her life? Her husband had been a fraud all those years, hiding the demons that drove him to pedophilia while telling her she was inadequate as a wife to meet his needs.  Fooled.  Tricked.  Emotionally abandoned.  Where was her worth and destiny in that scenario?

David's prayer is the cry of Mother's heart:  May Yahweh give you what your heart desires and fulfill your whole purpose.  I know my response to Mother's broken heart was inadequate, but it was this.  Us.  Your children and grandchildren who would not be if you had not married Daddy.  Would Daddy have finally made that final effort to know Christ had Mother not fallen more deeply in love with her Savior as she lay dying?  How can we assess our own whole purpose?

I know with Mother that what her heart ultimately desired was Jesus.  To know Him.  To touch Him.  To hear from Him because she had fallen in love.  Having spent much of her life as a church-goer involved in religious activities, she realized she had often missed the Man for the message.  All the ugliness of death and Daddy threw her at the feet of her Master, and He was enough.  She escaped the questions of worthiness and loss when she stood before Him.  He opened wide His arms and said, I am certain:  "Welcome, Flossie!  I have always loved you."

Isn't that really our whole purpose?  To know and love Him?  What matters, really, other than that.  The desires of the beloved become our desires and we are lost in the headiness of doing what pleases our lover. 

So, I pray with David and Mother today:  May He give me the desires of my heart, and fulfill my whole purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment