Friday, January 20, 2012

Psalm 24 - I'm Pumped!

Lift up your heads, O gates, and be lifted up, O ancient doors that the King of glory may come in!
Who is the King of glory?  The Lord strong and mighty.   The Lord, mighty in battle.
Lift up your heads, O you gates, and lift them up O ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in!
Who is the King of glory?  The Lord of hosts.  He is the King of glory.

Can you hear the creaking of the enormous gates made of weathered logs and roped together with rotting cords of jute?  Beyond the gates are myriad people - warriors and common folk alike - breathless in anticipation of the monarch on His white horse come in victory back home to sit upon His throne.  The King of glory.  Mighty in battle. 

Who is this King?  The Lord strong and mighty.  Mighty in battle.  Got any?  Battles, I mean.  If you shook your head no....you are in denial.  Of course, we all have battles.  Are your enemies flesh and blood?  They certainly wear that facade sometimes.  Mine was a flat tire on Wednesday.  Really flat.  And the tire was one week old!  That topped my day of frustration.  Phone calls that were disturbing.  Clients that were difficult.  Darts shot my way.  Not earth-shattering, but enough to grind at my joy.  I have met more ominous goliaths.  But the point is that the battle is not mine to win.  If I belong to the King of glory, the battle belongs to Him. "Not by might, not by power, but by My Spirit," says the Lord of hosts.  Remember Psalm 18?  For by You I can crush a troop or leap over a wall! 

Who is this King of glory?  The Lord of hosts.  Tsaba.  Hosts.  Mass of persons especially organized for war.  Angelic armies.  Our God is the Lord of the battle and its armies.  He knows the war plans.  Understands them inside and out.  Prescient, He also knows the outcome.  All-powerful, He wields the weapons.  Because He is Lord of all, He dupes the enemies with things like hail, deep sleep, confusion and weapons we would not even think of.  Forever our Source, He equips us with weapons of warfare that are so counterintuitive our enemies are routed.  The helmet of our salvation, the breastplate of Christ's righteousness, the belt of truth, the shoes of the gospel of peace, the sword of the Spirit and shield of faith.  You armored up today?  The Lord of hosts might take you into battle.  Be ready.

Most importantly.  Open up, you ancient gates.  Rickety and rotting, open up.  The King of Glory will come in.  "Behold, I stand at the door and knock," He says.  The victor wants to abide in me.  To pump up my pitiful soul with His might.  To muscle up my drooping arms.  To embolden my cowardly heart.  To change the way I think about this war.  The Lord of hosts knocks on the other side of that gate and beckons to me.  "Let me be glorious in you!"

For our battle is not against flesh and blood but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in heavenly places.  Therefore, take up the full armor of GOD. Ephesians 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment