Thursday, January 26, 2012

Psalm 25 - Secrets.....

The secret of the Lord is for those who fear (revere) Him.  (vs.14)

He is intimate with the upright.  Proverbs 3:32

I  had to sit and think about this for a minute or two.  If I am a friend of God, an intimate of His, He shares His heart with me.  Secret and intimate are the same word in Hebrew in these verses.  Sowd.  This is one of the reasons David keeps asking, Is there a God like our God? Created in His image, we desire the deep intimacies of friendship.  A safe place to share our hearts.  I, like you, have been burned this way, I know.  Shared my heart over a period of years with a friend I thought would love me forever.  She stopped speaking to me suddenly.  When I pressed her, she said I was prying into her life.  I cannot tell  you the depths of that pain.  She has locked within her all my deepest longings, heartaches and hopes.  I have hers as well.  Lost intimacy.  Misplaced.

It made me think about my relationship with God.  He longs to take a walk with me and hear my ideas, plans, hopes and dreams.  He wants to share with me, too.  When things go well, He wants to be the first to hear.  On the other hand, He wants to hold me when I cry because I have been wronged and even when I have wronged.  My Father wants to know it all!  But even more astounding - God wants to share His most intimate thoughts with me.  How does that look?

I remember a night when my daughter was so distressed.  Life not going as she had hoped.  A puddle of tears on the floor before her God.  I came upon her crying out.  Asked if I might join her.  The two of us, face down on the carpet, were anxious to hear from the heart of our Father.  Over and over in my mind came a phrase.  Unmistakably His voice.  "Let me lead your steps.  I know the way."  Chills now in the remembering of it.  When I spoke them to my child, she calmed.  Resonating in her was His intimate answer to her most heartfelt cry.  She wrote the message down and taped it to her mirrored closet door.  It remains there.  A word just to her from her loving Dad. 

Over the years I have had several experiences of God telling me things about people that I am only to pray about.  Not the sort of thing one shares.  A secret between Him and me.  Uncanny in the way they turn out to be reality.  I have been blessed to have prayed in secret for the success of those I have known.  Bill lost his wallet the other day.  There was a time not too long ago that I would have lost sleep over that.  (Bill loses sleep over absolutely nothing.  It is a gift!)  However, I heard His voice say:  "I have this covered.  I see it."  Bill found it the next day.  Glad I listened and did not stress all night about a thing my Father had in His sights.

It should make us desire to spend more time with our God.  That He desires to not only hear us but to speak with us also is the most amazing reality possible.  The God Who, with His fingers flung the world into space, wants to sit down and talk with me.  Tell me His deepest thoughts.  Whew!  Am shouting Hallelujah! about now. 

Draw near to our God and He will draw near to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment