Monday, January 30, 2012

Psalm 26 - Get Off the Slip 'n' Slide!!

Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have walked in integrity,  and I have trusted in the Lord without wavering.  Examine me and try me.  Test my mind and my heart.  For Thy lovingkindness is before my eyes. And I have walked in Thy truth.  (vs. 1-3)

What does it mean to walk in integrity before the Lord?  To trust Him with an unwavering heart?  Because that is when we know He will take up our cause when we have been wronged.  Scary sometimes to think that He might examine and try my heart.  Literally to test my kidneys and my heart.  My innards, so to speak.  My God is looking at what I am made of.  Have I trusted Him without sliding?  Hmmm.  Back-sliding, I assume.  How I accomplish the feat of unwavering faith?  I look at Him.  Aware that His love and kindness keeps me walking with Him in truth.  A matter again of His grace and my living in the light of it.

Remember when He gave the old covenant to the people of Israel?  He called Moses alone to the top of the mountain where the Lord descended in the holy cloud of His presence and proclaimed His name"The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin."  That is His name!  This is what He calls Himself.  A word is not enough.  He is defined by His great love and mercy.

David cannot count on his own integrity to save him any more than I can.  BUT, God's great love and mercy covers those of us who look to Him and trust in His provision for our following His truths from our heart and kidneys.  There is not just a little bit of love coming our way from this Great God....it abounds!  It overflows!  Like the banks of a mighty river trying to carry too much water overflows its banks and spills onto dry land...that is the way our Abba loves.  That is the way He forgives

So here is the secret to our vindication by this faithful judge.  We belong to Him.  We understand that we are His because of His great love.  When the searchlight of His testing glows deep into our inward woman, if He can find that we are looking at His name (see above...) and trying to walk in His truth, He will do whatever it takes to be our vindication.  That should humble us to our knees and make our enemies run like mad.  I would not want to fall into the hands of my God when He is upset about someone mistreating me.  Nor would I ever want to take matters into my own hands.  That ties His.  I need to let it go.  Because?  For one thing, I do not understand justice the way He does.  Nor do I understand my innards as He does.  Best to leave judgment to the Judge.  And just keep looking at His loving kindness to me, for I know I do not deserve the mercy and grace overflowing my way.  Mercy triumphs over judgment. (James 2:13)

My job:  Walk in His Truth.  Keep my eyes on Him.  Do not take for granted His great love.  Respond to it with all my heart, humbly acknowledging I am His by His design.  Let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.  Let us hold fast our confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful!!!!! Hebrews 10:22-23.

No comments:

Post a Comment