Tuesday, November 6, 2012

PSALM 64 - Whatcha Thinking?

They sharpen their tongues like swords and shoot bitter words like arrows.  From their hiding places they shoot at innocent people.  They shoot suddenly and are not afraid.  They encourage each other to do wrong.  They talk about setting traps, thinking no one will see them.  They plan wicked things and say,  "We have a perfect plan."
The mind of human beings is hard to understand. (italics mine  Vs. 3-6)

A person who does not have the Spirit does not accept the truths that come from the Spirit of God.  That person thinks they are foolish and cannot understand them, because they can only be judged to be true by the Spirit....The Scripture says:  "Who has known the mind of the Lord? Who has been able to teach Him?"  But we have the mind of Christ.  (I Corinthians 2)

The mind of human beings is indeed hard to understand.  It matters what we think.  It matters what we say.  Our hearts and lives are affected by our minds.  David is describing hunters here.  As if the  people are hiding in a blind and awaiting their next victim, unafraid because the prey is not a lion or a tiger but an innocent.  Toothless and unarmed.  An easy shot.  A fun and relaxing exercise.  Lay out the trap and laugh at the one caught in it.  With absolutely no regard for the hunted.  These sharp-shooters get together to plan their next outing.  How to make it even more productive than the last.  Only it is not wild animals they prey upon.  They don't hunt for sustenance but for the joy of the kill.  Yeah.  That's hard to understand.  And I'm thankful it is.

But I am aware of the words from my own mouth this morning.  I had to talk about it yesterday with the Lord as He made me aware of something I said that was at least unproductive about another person.  My Father kind of slapped my hand over it.  What was so offensive to my God was the heart of it, I know.  I wouldn't have said those things if my heart hadn't been wrong first.  How thankful I am that Abba corrects me.  Doesn't let me get away with setting my tongue on fire. 

So the mind of human beings is difficult because our hearts are warped.  Why would the hunter joy in the kill of innocents if her heart wasn't screwed up?  If she didn't need to even some perceived score?  Driven by a blood-thirst to be the one on top.  Eroded with the need to always be right.  Hating those thought to be less than or more than.  Shoot to kill, silencing the voice of virtue so that she can stand with a smoking gun and feel herself vindicated.  Because that is all she has.  This hunter.  Her own sense of pride.  Her wit and venom squeezed from a shriveled heart.  She needs a Savior.

But I should be different.  I have been found by God.  Because I have asked my Savior to live within me, I have a weapon of defense against the hunters who come after me.  God Himself living in me.  I don't have to think like the world anymore.  I can choose to listen to the Holy Spirit.  To actually think my Father's way.  Living water has been poured over my dehydrated heart and plumped it to near bursting.  Arrows shot my way are deflected by the armor my God has clothed me in.  I have the choice the hunter doesn't.  No need to strap on my quiver and pluck arrows to shoot at the heart of the attacker.  No need for full scale war against one who might try to destroy me with the words from her mouth.  My heart is changed.  So we have no common ground, this gossiper and I.  She will lose her small battle because I have the tactical advantage.  I have the mind of Christ.  May I listen to it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment