Tuesday, November 13, 2012

PSALM 65 - An Evening On The Beach

You answer us in amazing ways, God our Savior.  People everywhere on earth and beyond the sea trust You.   (Verse 5)

You have done amazing things we did not expect.  You came down and the moutain trembled before You.    Isaiah 64:3

2006 was a trying year for me.  We had purchased a home near the beach the year before that wasn't a stretch at the time.  However, our finances changed dramatically over that year so that we had to make some choices about what we would do with our business.  Gut-wrenching ones.  Also, personally I was coming to grips with mistakes I had made.  Working my way back to a more intimate relationship with Jesus.  Desiring Him more than anything else in the world.

Daily I was prostate before my God.  Pleading for guidance and peace.  Needing direction and wisdom like never before.  I knew I had wandered off the path and He was setting my feet right.  And I knew He was stripping me in order to reclothe me.  I took three days in September of that year to fast and pray.  Wisdom and assurance were the things for which I cried out.  Please show me what to do!

I made dinner for my family then headed to the beach with my Bible, a folding chair and my I-pod loaded with worship music.  The evening was still warm, not yet cooling down from the night breeze off the water.  Pink rays of sun glistened on the waves turning them into shiny silver.  I took deep breaths as I unfolded my chair and put my earpieces in.  I couldn't wait to hear from God.  Anticipated my Father reaching out to me.  Knew He would talk to me while I sat close to Him in the sand.  Not sure what to do first, I turned up the praise music really loud and sang (off-key, I'm sure since I had headphones on).  Fortunately, there were few people out at the time to hear my cacophony.  Then I picked up my Bible.  I had been living in Psalms.  David's up and downs suddenly relevant to my situation in ways I hadn't experienced before. 

"Lord, please speak to me from Your Word," I prayed.  "I need so desperately to know You will help me now."  Tears appeared suddenly, unexpectedly.  Thankful my Father was hearing me.

Psalm 65 was my destination.  Verse 5, my rhema from God.  His very personal message to me.  Just wait and see.  I am going to do amazing things for you.  A surprising way.  Just trust.

It was a roller coaster of decisions and painful loss after that evening with my Father on the beach.  But we walked into His solutions with confidence and saw our God be amazing for us.  We sold our business and our home, but in retrospect, both choices turned out to be great decisions.  And neither would've happened without God's intervention and power. 

We are so tiny in this universe and He, so enormous.  He "sits above the circle of the earth" yet stoops to meet us at the beach to hear our praise and understand our need.  I love our God.  He indeed does amazing things that we could not expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment