Friday, November 16, 2012

PSALM 65 - Flowers, Hummingbirds and Me


The pastures of the wilderness overflow.  The hills gird themselves with joy.  The meadows clothe themselves with flocks.  The valleys deck themselves with grain.  They shout and sing together with joy.   (Verses 12-13)

"And why are you anxious about clothing?  Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow.  They neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these.  But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith......Seek first the kingdom of God and all these other things will be added to you."  Jesus  (Matthew 6)

I am up in the middle of the night.  Happens to me quite often.  Much of the time I like it because I get to spend time with my Father that is lost to me during the hectic hours of the day.  But I must admit to being too filled with thoughts tonight....what if's.  Many things to think about.  My business, which always has its challenges.  My writing -- turned in a manuscript but not happy with the letter I attached to it.  A friend who has lost another loved one.  A young woman at odds with her family.  All I have to do on this Friday (that I can't do until daylight, anyway!).  My brain churning on this stuff.  So first to the Psalms where I start my days, and look at what my Father tells me.  This is why I love Him so.

It occurs to me that the ocean isn't worried about whether it will ebb and flow today, nor is the hummingbird who flits about the plants on my back porch worried where it will find a flower.  Life for the squirrel that Bill feeds occasionally (against my better judgment) is not fraught with concern about where it will get its sustenance.  The stars aren't fearful of not shining nor is the sun thinking about whether it should rise today.  And the roses, designed by God, don't fret about how pretty they are.  Hillsides are covered with wildflowers, cows moo in the fields as they chew their cud and whisk the flies away with their tails.  Nature moves in concert with God's will. 

We, however, have been given the privilege of choice, the joy of language and appreciation of beauty.  Above all other creation, we have been made like Him.  Flowers don't know they are beautiful.  Squirrels don't talk about God.  But creation is still the masterpiece of the artist Who designed its fields, streams, mountains, and stars to make us wonder at His brilliance.  He takes care of a very big yard!  And I?  I am small.  Responsible for very little, especially in comparison.  Since my Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills and all that moves in the fields are His (Psalm 50), then He owns me, too.  I want Him to because God takes very good care of what belongs to Him.

O me of little faith!  I wish I always wanted only Him.  That all the things that crowd out thoughts of my greatest love were in their rightful place.  I know my Father tends to me with much more loving care than to the lilies and the birds, but that He also cares for them encourages my way.  Nothing God has made escapes His tender watch care.  So even the little sparrow in flight, though unconscious of God's presence, is ever in His sight.  How much more should I, this one who knows His name and understands to some degree my Father's heart of love, trust Him for the things that stretch my faith and bring me to my knees.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment