Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chewing on Scripture day and night

I listened to a John Piper sermon the other day. He is teaching on the psalms.  They are there for us to receive instruction from and to sing!  They are supposed to be on our minds day and night.  The purposes of the law of the Lord are made evident in them.  The heart of a man after God's heart is laid bare through many of them.  I wanted to memorize every psalm by the time the sermon was done because I NEED that wisdom to navigate this crazy, godless world.  So, I am going through one psalm a week and blogging every day (hopefully) what I receive.  By the time I have read the psalm daily for a week out of different versions of the Bible, including the Greek/Hebrew translation, I hope I am equipped....chewing on His word all the time.  Please join me in this process and leave your comments on what God is teaching you through His psalms.

Today I am in the Message Bible....I am a tree planted in EDEN.  A good friend of mine tells me that is where I live...in 70 degree year round temperatures by the beach in California.  She is correct, although we do have Jerry Brown for a governor....again...lol.  I am a tree planted in Eden, bearing fruit every month. EVERY month?  I am challenged by the thought.  I am looking back over the last month and seeing what fruit I have produced.  And if it is of the type that makes me look better to the world or fruit that makes God thrill that He chose me.  "I never drop a leaf, always blossom."  Well, I know this about myself...there are quite a few dropped leaves around me and it isn't even fall, yet.  So, okay, I am not perfect.

But it goes on to say what I am NOT like.  The wicked.  They are mere windblown dust.  Without defense in court.  Ah...this is where I am different.  I DO have defense in the court of God's justice.  It isn't my own good works, though.  I know who my "lawyer" is pleading my case before the Father, holding in His hands the chalice of His own blood. 

God charts the road I take........I just sighed...really.  I did.  Like when I go out for a walk and look at the ocean and breathe it in.  I can relax.  God has my course, my itinerary, and has had since before the foundations of the world.  I want to run after the wicked, windblown dusty people and throw them in my ocean.  "Don't run that way!"  I want to scream.  It leads to Skid Row instead of a mansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment