Friday, August 19, 2011

Psalm 3 - Faith

The shield that extinguishes the flaming missiles of the evil one is faith.  Hmm.  Our faith is tested by fire, purified.  Faith is a defensive weapon.  The sword of the Spirit is offensive.  It cuts. Double-edged. Just need to make sure I am using it against the enemy and not the wounded.  You know what I mean.  It can be an "offensive" weapon when we use it thinking we are all that.  So it looks like we joust with these weapons.  At first we have an epee, a practice sword, because the warrior must train. We start this battle not knowing much.  To fight, of course, we must understand the strategies of the enemy, but we must also know our Commander in Chief - His ways, His heart, His rules. We need to fight His way.  Trust that He knows best. Because faith in Him is our shield, protecting our hearts along with the breastplate of righteousness. 

How do I get faith?  From God, of course.  Even the faith that I have to believe in Him came from Him (Ephesians 2:10).  But people with great faith.  Where did they get it?  I have been told that I should never pray for great faith because then God will give me all this stuff that is hard and I will rue the day I wanted to be a great warrior with way too many flaming missiles hitting my shield to live comfortably in this world.  If faith is the outcome...God-pleasing, mountain-moving, earth confounding faith, I want to train for it.  Faith is a gift from God and is measured out.  So what do I do with this gift?  If it is my shield, it needs to be a BIG one because this world is hostile to the things of God and I have been defeated in it more times than I want to admit.  So I pray for great faith.  I am not afraid, if my shield becomes bigger and the enemy is defeated.

All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Christ.  He has given that authority to me, as a believer.  Colossians 2 reminds us that our enemy was stripped of his authority over us at the cross of Christ. Therefore, I can say to that Goliath daily: "No weapon formed against me will prosper!"(Isaiah 54:17).  I speak that with faith to the enemy. You know the enemy lies, don't you?  You have made agreements with him about yourself and about God that are not true.  He accuses, he strips, he gives you potions that lead you to your death.  Quite the enemy.  But he is powerless.  The Bible says he prowls about like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour.  He is toothless, though, when your shield is up and your sword is sharpened.  Then no weapon he has is going to ruin you.  The missiles are flaming, for Pete's sake!  You can see them coming, so raise the shield, speak your faith, stand your ground!  Read the Word for it is your sword.  Know what ground is yours and what belongs to the enemy.  Know your God.  He is mighty.  He is Jahweh, the Creator God.  He is sovereign, meaning He alone is all-powerful!  He does what He wills and He wills that you have a mighty shield, not one made of papier mache.

No comments:

Post a Comment