Tuesday, August 9, 2011

You Gotta Serve Somebody

The kings in Psalm 2 gather together and take a stand against the Lord.  Why?  They don't want to be chained down anymore to the king.  They want to do things their own way.  Kinda tired of this king and all his parameters.  Sounds like they have gotten together and stirred the pot of their discontent.  The king cramps their style.  They would do things differently if they were made king. Actually, they don't like the king OR His annointed one.  God or His son.  So these subordinate kings stomp about, puffed up and above it all, crying to be let go from the prison of rules and regulations that are a part of the kingdom of this King and His Son.

I remember when each of my children learned what "hot" meant.  "Don't touch that!" I would demand.  "It is hot!"  They didn't know hot.  They did not trust that I did.  So, eventually, they had to feel "hot" to know that I was, by golly, right!  I did not laugh at them, but shook my head and wished they had listened.  The lessons get more important as time goes on.  Just think how much more wise the God of the universe is than we are...He knows EVERYTHING and has given us some information that might just keep us from destruction. I can listen to Him....or I can listen to someone else, but I will serve somebody.  People think that getting away from God and all His rules will make them free.  Our  hearts are made for worship, so we will adore something or someone else if not Him.  If He is not in the place He created in our hearts, we will pour alcohol into it or fill it with cocaine or heroin.  We will eat til we waddle through life or find a partner who we try to make into a god to meet our needs. We might work, work out or eat rocks like the lady on Strange Addictions I saw last week.  The point is, of course, we will serve something.  Something will drive our lives. Either to purpose or perdition. 

It's counter-intuitive, but our serving God is what makes us free.  If I am "chained" to the God of creation Who still involves Himself in my life minute-by-minute, I am yoked together with a pretty dynamic force.  My King LOVES me.  I am free within the boundaries He has set for me because He alone knows what is on the other side of that fence.  He has not fenced me in in order to keep me from pleasure, but that I don't go wandering off to unsafe places that will destroy me.  He wants me close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment