Thursday, August 25, 2011

Psalm 4 - Right Sacrifices

Gone for now are the days of animal sacrifices.  So, what does David mean in this song about offering "right sacrifices"?  This psalm was possibly written in response to some disaster and people were turning from God to lesser gods to help them.  They seemed to be thinking that their God was not doing a very good job. Ever felt that way?  (....I have....)  Didn't want to say that too loudly.  Hoping I'm not the only one.

Psalm 4: 2-5:  O sons of men, how long will my honor become a reproach?  How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception?  But know that the Lord has set apart the godly ones for Himself.  The Lord hears when I call to Him.  Tremble and do not sin. Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still.  Offer the right sacrifices and trust in the Lord.

Other gods demand sacrifices, too, you know.  They demand no less that the Lord God does.  People give up their own wills, their homes, their money, their destinies, their families to "other gods."  For the thrills of the lesser gods, men and women will sacrifice all.  Out of anger against the Lord God for His inadequacy to do their will,  people have embraced all manner of addictions and attachments with a vengeance that is driven by a rebellious heart that says: "I will just have to look elsewhere for a god that does what I want it to."  A dangerous decision since there ARE no other gods.  They are lies as surely as a wooden idol carved with the hands of man and then worshipped are a sham.  Creator worshipping his own creation.  Drugs, alcohol, sex, power, money - How long will we love worthless things?  These things fill up the place that is left when we leave God.  The vacuum is made for Him, so how can it be satisfied with anything else?

Circumstances can be so dire that we lose heart.  I admit that I have asked where God was in the midst of some of my  life's more distressing times.  I have "trembled" at what might happen.  I have been afraid that my God might not show up.....and what if He didn't?  I have created a million horrendous scenarios that make me even more afraid.  Time to run....but where?  David says, meditate on your bed, at night when you are so overwhelmed that you cannot sleep. But don't meditate on all that can go wrong!  Meditate on Him and then be still.  Don't run.  Don't panic.  Offer right sacrifices.  "I urge you, brother, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind...." (Romans 12)  Your right sacrifice is YOU.....your will.  Your ideas of what is needful for the hour.  Your mind must be surrendered as well as your heart.  You don't have a real choice because there is ONLY ONE GOD.  And he is sovereign.  But, here is the best part.....He loves you.  Knows you better than you do.  You can rely on Him.

Look at God's heart in Psalm 18:  He sent from on high, He took me;  He drew me out of many waters.  He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.  They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my stay.  He set me in a broad space.  He rescued me because He delights in me.

My God knows my hard place, my calamity, and has already planned a way out.  He has gone before me as He did before the children of Israel as they came upon the Jordan River with no way across, and He will make a way where there is no way.  BUT, I must trust and wait.  Offer up as a sacrifice all my fixes...all my ideas of HOW He is going to make this better.  Meditate on His great power instead of worrying at night in my wakefulness, and then just be still.   Be still.  He sees me there and delights in me.  That is why He will rescue me.  He sees His child offering up her life into His hands, trusting that He will do what He will do and it will be the right thing.  Surrender to His love and goodness makes Him smile.  May I delight Him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment