Monday, September 3, 2012

PSALM 55 - Smooching the Enemy

Give ear to my prayer, O God, and hide not yourself from my plea for mercy!  Attend to me and answer me.  I am restless in my complaint and I moan because of the noise of my enemy, because of the oppression of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked.  For they drop trouble upon me, and in anger they bear a grudge against me.

For it is not an enemy who taunts me - then I could bear it.  It is not an adversary who deals insolently with me - then I could hide from him.
But it is you, a man, my equal, my companion, my familiar friend.
We used to take sweet counsel together.  Within God's house we walked in the throng.
(Vs. 1-3; 12-14)

There were no elections the year Absalom decided to usurp the throne of his father, David.  There was, however, a smear campaign.  Several years earlier, Absalom killed his brother, Amnon, in retribution for the rape of their sister, Tamar.  David had done nothing to punish Amnon.  Had let it go, enraging her brother, Absalom.  Revenge was sweet.  But the young murderer had to flee Jerusalem over the outrage of King David and for fear his own life would be taken.  After three years, enough time had passed that David was finished mourning Amnon and was longing to see Absalom.  Joab, David's confidant, brought the news to Absalom that he could return to Jerusalem where he lived for two years before coming before his father.  At the perceived risk of his life, Absalom finally asked to see the king.  David consented because he loved his son.  The moment Absalom entered the king's presence, he bowed himself face down before his father.  David, overcome, went to his son and kissed him.

All was not rosy, though.  Absalom still hated David and wanted to take over the kingdom from his aging father.  So he set about campaigning at the city gate, rising early every day to waylay those whose disputes needed to be settled.  "If only I were king," Absalom declared, "I would give every man justice!" Then Absalom would kiss the people  (baby kissing began here, maybe), stealing their hearts and confusing their minds.  In four years, the king's son had amassed chariots, horses and a small army.  And...he had stolen Ahithophel, David's most trusted counselor.  With much bravado, Absalom declared himself king at Hebron.  David fled with his household for his life.

On the way out of Jerusalem, David passed over the Kidron brook and, with him, the household headed out into the wilderness.  As the king trudged up the Mount of Olives, he took off his sandals, covered his head and wept over the betrayal of his son.  It was on this mount word came to him that his best friend and advisor, Ahithophel, was a conspirator with his son.  This man was his familiar friend, his equal with whom he shared sweet counsel and rejoiced in the temple.  Grief on grief.

Going a little further beyond the summit, David was greeted with more mutiny.  Jonathan's crippled son, Mephibosheth, had been welcomed at the king's table, cared for by the king's servants, and loved as a part of David's family.  Yet Ziba, his servant, met the king to inform him that Saul's son had stayed in Jerusalem declaring, "Today the house of Israel will give me back the kingdom of my father." 

Betrayal on betrayal.  Power and wealth trumping the deepest of relationships.  Conspiracy and jealousy triumphing over love.  Thus the cries of this psalm, perhaps.  The treachery is that David thought he was loved as much as he loved.  Felt safe speaking his heart to Ahithophel.  Bet on the fact that his love for his wayward son would be rekindled with a kiss of grace.  But was betrayed on the Mount of Olives as in his grief he had passed over the Kidron Valley.  Sound familiar?

David's response was, basically, I cannot even judge my own actions.  We will see what God will do.  Perhaps I deserve this.  If so, I can't kick against it.  If God wills, I will return to Jerusalem.  If not, then I am His to do with as He pleases.   The arena was too enlarged for David to control his own destiny.  The conspiracy too deep to go back and undo four years of negative campaigning and baby kissing.  And his own son, whom the king loved deeply, was the adversary, making it impossible to engage the child in battle.  No.  Only God could deal with the hearts that bore such deep grudges that their treachery seemed, to them, to be justified.  God Himself must bring the king back to his rightful place or decide to give it to another.

Again with the heart.  The grandson of Saul still harboring hope of the throne he would've inherited.  Disregarding the great love David extended to him.  The most trusted friend, BFF, seeing his chance to be Vice President in Absalom's reign, trifling with the top secret relationship afforded to him by the king.  And his very own son, kissing the king while plotting all along to destroy him. 

I don't think it is a stretch to say that we must be careful how we treat our relationship with our King.  That we are not kissing the Son on His cheek while bowing down to the world.  That in our buy-in to the smooches of the enemy, we find ourselves sending our Christ once more to Calvary to deal with the depth of our betrayal.

No comments:

Post a Comment