Monday, September 17, 2012

PSALM 57 - On Purpose

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in You my soul takes refuge.  In the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.

I cry out to God Most High, to God Who fulfills His purposes for me.  (Vs. 1-2)

He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purposes of His will.  Ephesians 1:4-5

...making known to us the mystery of His will, according to His purpose, which He set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in Him, things in heaven and things on earth.  Ephesians 1: 9-10

David was ever running from Saul who was chasing him with sword in hand to destroy God's purposes for David....namely, to usurp Saul's throne.  David most probably wrote this psalm based upon those days in the cave at Adullam where the would-be king hid from Saul's assassins.  Cloistered there so the pursuers would "pass by."  I think it's interesting the psalm speaks of hiding under God's wings where we wait unhindered for the storms to pass.  God is a place of supreme safety as He works out our purpose.

But God's purpose for us is in itself a place of safety.  What He ordains, He sustains.  He will not be bullied or argued out of what He has decided will happen, predestined and foreordained before the foundations of the world were ever laid.  My destiny in Christ will be completed....by Him.  Though Saul chased David down out of fear of losing what was already determined to be gone - his kingship over Israel - he could never win.  God knew what He had in mind.  Period.  And that purpose kept David safe and sealed Saul's fate.

I am struck by this today.  Our finite purpose is linked inextricably to an infinite one.  Like the individual strokes of an artist's brush ultimately create a larger masterpiece, my life counts in a much greater picture.  Sent to earth as a creation of my Father's will and designed to be His daughter.  Dearly loved, I have a course to take that is mine alone.  This journey He watches over and directs.  Protects.  He loves me because He decided to before I was born.  Those who would frustrate my walk will ultimately pass on, leaving me to finish what I came to do. 

On an ordinary day, I'm not much aware of greater destiny.  I mopped a dirty kitchen floor this morning, changed sheets, took a walk.  Not life changing stuff.  But I also talked with my Father today about larger goals.  Deeper needs.  My higher calling.  Because I want to do it all.  Every last thing I have been created for.  So that even in the mundane I must know there is purpose.  That He is, in those moments when I cannot sense or see it, preparing the higher tasks that bring Him joy.  Keeping my heart and mind so that I can be instant in season and out of season to just do it.

The bigger plan?  To be Lord, once and for all, over a united universe.  To bring us together as one...with Him, with Christ, with Holy Spirit and with each other.  To bring the beauty of heaven and the beauty of earth together in perfect harmony.  To live with us....walk with us again in a garden beyond imagining.  For lions to lie down with lambs.  For tears to cease.  Strife to quiet.  Love to reign.  I am important to the flow of history that will bring us to that place.  So are you.  And that purpose will protect us from all that seeks to thwart it because He will fulfill it in us.

My times are in Your hand.  Psalm 31:15
 

No comments:

Post a Comment