Monday, September 10, 2012

PSALM 56 - Running For My Life

Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me.   All day long an attacker oppresses me.  My enemies trample on me all day long, for many attack me proudly.

When I am afraid, I put my trust in You.  In God, Whose word I praise.  In God I trust.  I shall not be afraid.  What can flesh do to me?


I was trying to think about the time in my life when I was most afraid of someone.  Thankfully, there are only a few of them.  One, however, trumps them all.

I used to get up every morning at 5 AM so I could run four miles before I got my kids ready for school and myself ready for work.  I loved the early morning prayer time, and often I had the joy of Vanessa running with me, at least part of the way.  One particular morning in October, when light fog is common where we lived, Vanessa and I set out on our jog.  At the one mile mark, Vanessa decided to return home deciding a two mile run was enough for that day.  I went on by myself while she returned home.  Thought nothing of the fog and darkness as I was familiar with it. 

I was a mile from home when the man pulled up beside me.  "Where is Manzanita Street?" he asked as he drove slowly beside me. 

"I don't know," I said, trying to avoid him.  Getting a creepy feeling about his question.

The man pulled forward, then stopped his car at the curb ahead of me.  I wouldn't have known this except for the fact that his break lights shone through the fog.  My heart pounded its fear into my ears.  I knew I had to think quickly or he would grab me.  My choices:  Run past him hoping to get away or run right then across four lanes of street (no traffic that time of morning) in dense fog and risk being hit by a random car.  I chose to run across the street.  Faster than I have run in my life.

Behind me I heard footsteps stomping heavily on the payment as the man ran after me.  Terrified, I asked the Lord for protection as I ran fueled by adrenaline.  The footfall behind me stopped.  I heard the car start up again.  My problem was that I had to get to the other side of the street because that was where home was.  I didn't know where my pursuer was.  What do I do

I think it is fortunate I had just been talking with my Father.  He was on the run with me or I don't know if I would be alive today.  But I chose to run back across four foggy lanes and into the street that led me home.   There he was.  Standing there!  Exposed and five feet from me.  The hazy light from a street lamp making him visible.  He started toward me.

"In the name of Jesus, you leave me alone!"  I screamed.  "In the name of Jesus, you cannot touch me!"

Stopped in his tracks, by the name of Jesus and my screaming it to the neighbors before sun-up, the man let me pass.  Again, adrenaline drove me home.  I didn't dare look behind me for fear the attacker had followed me again.  I fumbled for the doorknob and threw myself into the house.

"Vanessa,  are you here?"  I screamed it.

She appeared at the door.  Had not even showered yet.  "I had a funny feeling when I left you, Mom."

Had not in my panic to save myself, gotten a license plate number.  So police had no real ability to locate the man.  I looked at each small beat-up silver compact for a couple of years every time I went out.

But my God, and His word, saved me that day.  My God came to my rescue when I was afraid and helped me.  I praise Him for that.  I praise Him for His very name.

Jesus prayed for us in the garden before he was taken to be tried and crucified.  In this last prayer, He asked this of the Father:

Holy Father, keep them (keep Your eyes fixed upon, watch over, protect) by Your name, the name which You have given Me.  John 17

I am so thankful today that I don't have to fear what man can do to me, for the eyes of my Father constantly watch over my life.  I know there is much to fear in our world today.  I am not naive enough to think that bad things don't happen to people.  But I know my Father is attentive to us and makes all things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called by Him for purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment