Friday, October 5, 2012

PSALM 59 - Dangling From the Edge?

But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of Your love, for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.

Oh, my Strength, I sing praise to You.  You, Oh God, are my fortress, my loving God.
 (Vs. 16-17)

Weeping may remain for a night, but joy comes in the morning.  Psalm 30

We were at the lake.  Having fun jumping off the platform built several feet from the shore.  I was six or seven years old.  Hadn't been swimming all that long.  My father was enjoying the lake water on a typically hot day in Texas, too.  I had only swum in swimming pool water until this one day.  Overly confident, I didn't know anything about the swirling dangers of rip currents in natural water.  So, I was surprised when, after jumping off the platform for the hundredth time, I was pulled under by what felt like the whirlpool water makes as it drains out of the bathtub.  Like a fishing bob, I kept popping back to the surface, but then back under I would go.  Out of control.  Going deeper each time. Staying under longer.  My little heart beat so fast.  I knew I would die if someone didn't see me.  I can't remember if I called out for help.  I think I might've.  But my father was watching.  Reached out his hand and pulled me to his chest.  Safe!  Thankful. 

Will, our son, was only about three when we sat down to dinner one evening.  A favorite meal for my children was hot dogs and chili.  Mealtime at our house was, and still is, family time.  We talk about everything.   Laugh or argue.  It's always animated.  Will's sisters are seven and nine years older than he, so in those days he often got lost in the back and forth of conversation.  That's why it took a minute for me to notice his bulging eyes and terrified look as he patted my arm.  He was choking!  Hot dog lodged in his throat.  I reached over and stuck my finger down his throat, and patted his back.  The piece of hot dog traveled on down to its proper place and Will took a much-needed breath.

"Thank you, Mommy!" he cried.  Tears streamed down his grateful face as he came to sit in my lap and relish being alive.  He was still thanking me at bedtime.  He thought he was going to die.

We have all plunged over the ledge sometime or other and, with our fingernails, hung on to life.  Dangling over the edge not daring to look down at the lengths to which we will fall if Superman, Spiderman, Thor or Bruce Willis doesn't proffer a hand.  It is just that ridiculous that we should be saved because the odds are stacked against us and we are losing our grip.  Of course, our super-heroes are nowhere to be found.  We are not in a movie but in reality.  And, like David in this psalm, we need God to meet us before we forever fall.  Sweating it out.  Calling His name.  "Wake up, God, and help me!   See me dangling helpless in this mess!"  The enemy ever-closer to finding us and stepping hard on our hands to plunge us into an abyss.

Because He hears the call and, more importantly, because He loves us, He comes right before dawn and reaches out His right hand, grabs us by our wrist, and pulls us up to safety.  Just in time.  Safe!  Relief so deep we shake.  Maybe even cry a little.  As the morning light peeks over the horizon and a new day dawns for us, we can still feel the pressure of His grasp.  Rub the arm He touched.  Joy rises with the new day and strums in our hearts a thankful song of praise to Him.  Can't believe how much He loves us.  Still in wonder that He heard and came. 

"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you,  'Do not fear.  I will help you."  Isaiah 41

No comments:

Post a Comment