Wednesday, October 3, 2012

PSALM 59 - A Morning Prayer Answered

But You, O Lord, laugh at them.  You hold all the nations in derision.

O, my Strength, I will watch for You, for You, O God, are my fortress.
My God in His steadfast love will meet me.
God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.   (Vs. 8-10)

Maybe God laughs at those who mock His very existence because it is just so bleeding obvious that a Creator God made the universe.  Really.   Looking around at the beauty, understanding more and more every day about how the universe is ordered, or watching the sun rise and set should bespeak a creator.  A mind almost past comprehending that could create from nothing the vastness and variety of our world and beyond.  Of course, if there is a God of such magnitude and power, of such brilliance and creativity, then He must have made us, too.  Are we, therefore, obliged to acknowledge Him?  Perhaps not.  But to assume He isn't involved with us is ludicrous.  Go ahead and live as though He isn't listening, but He thinks that is hilarious.  Nations making plans and going forward with their worldly agendas doesn't stop God from His own plans for the world.  When those He created ignore Him, it is as ridiculous as the vase saying to the potter:  "You didn't make me." 

Here is what so speaks to me today about these verses, though.  I will watch, in expectant hope, for God to meet me when I need Him.  Others might believe He cannot hear them as they "bellow with their mouths" the lies and slander that so easily come flying from their hearts.  "Who's gonna hear us?" they laugh.  "God?"  But perhaps the most precious thing to me about my Father is that he does hear me.  He listens when I talk to Him.  Because He loves me, He meets together with me to talk about.....everything.  I watch for my God to meet me like my kids waited at the window for their Daddy to come home after work in the evenings.  With anticipation.  When He comes, we sit down to fellowship.  Like we did when we had dinner together as a family.  Close.  Intimate.  Safe. 

Today is such sweet example of God's love.  This has been a very tight week for us financially.  We knew we had to wait for a paycheck on Friday to get some groceries.  Not to feel sorry for us.  Just had some unusual bills that had to be paid last week.  On Wednesdays, I go to a meeting of real estate professionals.  A casual breakfast before we preview homes that have been newly listed.  The drive takes about thirty minutes.  It is my Wednesday prayer time.  Knowing there is a $50 drawing each Wednesday, my prayer today was that God allow me to win the drawing.  I never have before so it was a one in an I-don't-know-how-many chance....one hundred, maybe.  I did win it.  They drew my name.  His steadfast love met me in my car and He heard me.   On the way home I went to the grocery store to pick up what we needed, thankful for the money to do so.  Outside of the store stood a nearly toothless, very tan middle-aged homeless woman asking for donations.  I had eight dollars left, so I smiled and passed her by thinking,  "I only have eight dollars."  I didn't get to the car before the Lord challenged me.  Couldn't I bless her as I had been blessed earlier?  Got back out of the car and put a five dollar bill through the plastic slot of the woman's bucket.  Because, not only do Iwant to my Father to hear from me,  I want to hear from Him.

Those who choose to deny our God exists lose out on the joys of knowing Him.  He is an attentive Father, setting us on His knee and caring about what we care about.  Sure, I am responsible to this holy God, but He has promised to be responsible to me, also.  With His blood.  He made covenant with me. (Jeremiah 31)  I will live in this world answering to something or someone.  We all do.  To choose someone or something less than the One Who created me, is denying myself the best.  I would trade all the drugs, love affairs, power, money, fame, or any other thing the world has to offer me for this one thing: the ear of the All Mighty God, Who stoops down as a daddy does while listening to his tiny three-year-old tell him of her day.

You protect me with Your saving shield.  You support me with Your right hand.  You have stooped to make me great.  (italics mine)  2 Samuel 22

 

No comments:

Post a Comment