Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Psalm 27 - I'm a Little Chick

For in the day of trouble, He will conceal me in His tabernacle.  In the secret place of His tent He will hide me.  He will lift me up on a rock.  (vs 5)

Yahweh, You are my God!  I will exalt You.  I will praise Your name, for You have accomplished wonders, plans formed long ago, with perfect faithfulness.....For You have been a stronghold for the poor, a stronghold for the needy person in distress, a refuge from the rain, a shade from the heat.  When the breath of the violent is like rain against a wall, like heat in dry land, You subdue the uproar of barbarians.  As the shade of a cloud cools the heat of day, so He silences the song of the violent.  Isaiah 25

Ever just want to hide from your life?  Just want relief from the stresses that keep you up at night?  I have felt that.  I have wanted to be a child again and sit in my mother's lap, hide my face in her chest and know that I am safe.  To know that my struggles are not my own to fix, but someone else's.  To hear again, "It's all right, precious."

My Father wants to be just that to me.  A refuge in the storm.  A stronghold when I am needy and in distress.  The picture inherent in the words for conceal and hide is that of a mother bird gathering her chicks beneath her wings so that they cannot be detected.  I think that is interesting when I think about God making me invisible to my troubles.  If the arrows come, He stands up and takes them for me because I am hidden in Him.  My life is hidden with Christ in God.  If God is for me, who can be against me?  If He spared not His only Son won't He then freely give me all things? 

So here is the picture of my God, my Stronghold.  I am a baby chick pecking about the barnyard.  Oblivious to the dangers that lurk there.  A bird dog comes my way and I panic.  Don't know what to do.  I look around for safety, maybe under a feeding trough...but the dog can reach me there.  Then I hear the loud clucking of my mama and turn.  She is there with her wings spread, beckoning me to take cover in her.  I run...fast as my fat little chick legs can carry me.  Dog after me.  My heart pounding.  I slide under just in time.  Mama's wings fold up tight.  I am safe.  That dog cannot even see me.  It is now Mama's fight.

My Father is shade when I am hot, rain when I am dry, and a stronghold when I am pursued.  But I must run to His tent.  That is where He dwells.  My heart must go home when it needs to be fortified.  There I can find peace and quiet.  There I can hear His voice.  It is from His throne that He commands the forces that beat against my life to be quiet.  He has my life in a secret place where the enemy can never fully destroy me.  Our God has faithfully committed Himself to us since before He formed us.  He is trustworthy to protect us. 

This little chicken loves being under the wings of the mama bird, close to her heart, feeling her warmth, hidden from all the world has to fling at her.  Feathered wings holding her tight against the storm. 

He will cover You with His feathers.  You will take refuge under His wings.  Psalm 91

No comments:

Post a Comment