Thursday, February 23, 2012

Psalm 29 - Trying to be Holy?

Ascribe to Yahweh, you heavenly beings, ascribe to Yahweh the glory and strength.  Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name.  Worship Yahweh in the splendor of holiness!  (vs1-2)

Last time you thought about holiness being spendiferous.  Sounds like drudgery to most - trudging around being  holy.  If one is holy, she cannot cuss, swear, cheat, joke around, or fart.  Perfection is what we think of when we hear this word.  Pursed lips. Dour demeanor.  Tsk-tsking those who are not as righteous as we.

Hmmm.  The word means sacred. Qodesh.  Something set aside for sacred use only. Consecrated. Hallowed. Dedicated.  Saint.  God is Himself holy.  He deems what is holy and what is not.  The Sabbath was holy.  The tabernacle and temple were holy - most holy - holy of holies.  Degrees of consecration.  Degrees of His Presence manifested.

So to be holy is not to be self-righteous.  To be holy is to be set aside for Him.  If I live a life free of things that soil my relationship with Him, I am living in "righteousness."  Thing is, I cannot do that unless He "tabernacles" in me by the presence of the Holy Spirit.  I am Saint Kay.  Really, I am!  Because He declared it when He covered me in the holy blood of Jesus.  So I am deemed holy to Him - consecrated to His purposes in me - whether today I act all that holy or not.  It is my desire to please my Father, so I hope today I am a bit more consecrated in my own heart today than I was yesterday.  That I allow the Holy Spirit to help me live for my God. Then I should look more and more like Him and less and less like me.  Holiness is a life that reflects my devotion to the heart of God, not my adherence to His rules.  I want to obey them in order to please Him, not you.

Literally, the splendor of holiness means in holy array - decoration, beauty, honor.  So the verse says, in my own words:  "Angels! Sons of God!  Give to your God all the glory His great name deserves!  Worship arrayed in the splendid, majestic garments of sacredness!"    Stand around the throne, those who have been set aside as sacred to Him and burst with praise, for He is glorious, strong and mighty!  Array yourselves in the whole armor of our God and walk forth in His righteousness knowing you belong to the One God who lives in glorious splendor, surrounded by joyous praising beings who cannot stop crying out:

 "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, Who was, and is and is to come!  Worthy are Thou, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power.  For Thou created all things, and because of Thy will, they existed and were created!"

No comments:

Post a Comment