Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Psalm 35 - Dining on Defamation

Malicious witnesses rise up.  They ask me of things that I do not know.  They repay me evil for good.  My soul is bereft.  But I, when they were sick - I wore sackcloth.  I afflicted myself with fasting.  I prayed with head bowed on my chest.  I went about as though I grieved for my friend or my brother - as one who laments his mother, I bowed down in mourning.

But at my stumbling they rejoiced and gathered.  They gathered together against me.  Wretches whom I did not know tore at me without ceasing.  Like profane mockers at a feast, they gnash at me with their teeth.

How long, O Lord, will You look on?  (vs 11-17)

The betrayal of a friend.  The devastating sickness in the pit of your stomach when you realize you are not loved as you have loved.  I know this feeling.  You probably do, too.  No better description than "my soul is bereft."  I had friends over whom I prayed and fasted.  Friends who shared my home on summer vacations year after year.  Women who know my deepest heart - good and bad.  One who shared those things with others, yet I did not end our friendship when I discovered it.  Cried when they cried.  Laughed when they laughed.  Prayed for their homes, their finances, their spiritual lives.  But when it came to me, not so much.  I have twice been left pretty much standing there with the sting of a black eye (not literal) while I was told all that is wrong with me......and there is plenty.  What do you do with that? 

I cried....a lot.  I am imperfect.  And was an imperfect friend.  But I did not deserve desertion.  A conversation.  Communication.  But not disconnect as though I am anathema.  So I know what David is feeling.  How can those for whom you would have given your life speak maliciously of you?  How did you not realize that the depth of friendship was only about what you give to the other person?  When you run out of meeting their needs, you are not worth much to them.  When you are weak, they side with the strong.  And you, like me, become more careful about who you pick for friends.

Not physically brought to trial with malicious witnesses asking loaded questions, those who have been betrayed still are not usually given the opportunity to answer to the gossip.  Others saying things that are either not true or have been brutally slanted.  Mouths used as weapons to strike the heart.  Like profane mockers at a feast, the greasy meat of chewing on another's reputation hanging from their teeth.  Dining on defamation with impunity.  And these the very people you fasted for in their time of need.  An ugly picture.

How long, Lord?  A fair question.  I don't want revenge.  But we all want rescue from such a scenario.  David's very life was at stake because the situation for him was people actually wanting to physically destroy him.  Dual pain.  They want his heart and soul.  And there seems to be nothing David can do to overcome the lies and hate.  Call on God.  He is the One Who understands what is fair and what isn't.  What David did right and what he did wrong in these friendships.  The taking and giving weighed in a Judge's balance.  Vengeance measured by the only One Who has that right.  David's life and reputation restored, lies revealed, mouths shut as God shut the mouths of the lions in Daniel's den. 

Personally, I could become jaded and say it is not worth it to love others too well.  Don't give too much.  But I have the most amazing friends in the world.  They have seen me through life, offered words of encouragement and correction, read my books and my thoughts, prayed for me when I was far away, spiritually and physically.  Reciprocal in love and spirit.  I am well loved. 

God is relational.  Intentionally.  And I am certain He is often grieved by our betrayal of His great love.  He is patient.  He is faithful even when we are faithless.  He IS love.  And He calls me to be like Him in this.  Not to carry offense but to trust that my God is working with me and all of His children to grow us up to be like Him.  To choose those with whom we remain friends and those we let go of.  He is looking on and is involved.  My job is to be a friend.  And sometimes that hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment