Tuesday, April 17, 2012

PSALM 37 - An Ode to the Father

The days of the blameless are known to the Lord, and their inheritance will endure forever.  In times of disaster they will not wither.  In days of famine they will enjoy plenty...If the Lord delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm.  Though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand.  (Vs. 18-19; 23-24)


When I was reading this verse this morning, I thought:  Hmm...if I take this literally, no one will inherit anything because none of us can claim blamelessness.  I have no doubt that I would be in deep trouble if I were to count on my own goodness to be accepted by God.  Whew!  I do not.  "For by grace you have been saved, through faith - and that is not from yourselves, it is a free gift from God- not by works, so that no man can boast. "(Ephesians 2:8-9)


So this guilty woman is declared blameless by the blood of Christ!  Expiated!  Gets out of bondage free!  Free to me, that is.  It cost God a great deal to declare me blameless.  Jesus died so that I could come to the Father with Him.  Adopted into His family with all the rights and privileges that come with the family name.  A joint heir with Christ......what?  I inherit all that Christ does?  The Father takes me into His embrace as His kid?  Joys in my conversations with Him?  Wraps His love around me?  Protects and instructs me?  Disciplines and affirms me?  Yes!  He watches over my days like any great father, providing for me in the most practical of ways....my food and my safety.  My walking and running.  He knows the way I am going and He is there to make it sure.  Holding my hand as I go along.

I cannot get over the idea of God delighting in me.  But His sweetness toward my life is always evident.  Last night a friend sent me an old email I had sent her in 2009.  Bill's sister was moving Bill's dad, Papa, out of his home and into assisted living, and we were going to Texas to help with the move.  Papa was very depressed over it as it was happening at lightning speed for a 94 year old man.  My prayer request to my friend was that Papa be comforted and cared for in the heartbreaking process.  In the following months, Bill's sister and her husband died within ten days of each other.  Papa, who had confined himself to a wheelchair since the move to the nursing home, seemed too frail to move to California.  However, he wanted to be near us, so he got up, started using a walker, and flew out to California where he lived for two more years.  It was the best time Bill had ever had with his dad.  And we were privileged to be holding his hands when he went to see Jesus.  The email reminded me of how our Father goes out ahead of us to prepare our way.  I had no idea in 2009 how the circumstances would play out.  But my Father did.  He had already prepared a future grace for Papa to walk into and for us to enjoy.

Also in the email, I voiced my concerns about Bill's job.  He had worked for the same company for over twenty years, but the firm was declaring bankruptcy.  That meant the demise of Bill's job.  What would we do?  In the aftermath, Bill was employed immediately by another company and got to work from home.  No more driving 45 minutes in LA traffic.  An added blessing.  "Don't worry saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we wear?'  For the pagans run after these things, and your heavenly Father knows you need them."(Matthew 6)

Zephaniah 3:17:  The Lord your God is with you!  He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you.  He will quiet you with His love.  He will rejoice over you with singing.  I tear up every time I read this verse.  God singing over me in His delight.  Quieting my fretting heart with the assurance of His love.  Affirming He is with me, no matter what!  Even when I stumble.  Not watching where I am going.  "Pick up your feet, Kay!"  Hearing my mother's admonition in my Father's voice.  "Watch where you are going!"  My Father is not waiting for me to do wrong, but helping me to do right!  Ready with a high-five when I make the right choice.  Ready with discipline and direction when I screw it all up.  Shushing my fears. Wiping my tears. Stilling my heart with a lullaby.  This is my inheritance.  A Father who loves me forever.





No comments:

Post a Comment