Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Psalm 31 - I'm A Green Stamp Book

Thou hast ransomed me, O Lord, God of truth. (vs.5)

"I have wiped out your transgressions like a thick cloud and your sins like a heavy mist.  Return to me, for I have redeemed you!"  Yahweh in Isaiah 44

We used to save Green Stamps at my house when I was little.  Our job as daughters was to lick the things so they could be placed in an orderly fashion in the Green Stamp book.  Usually there were the odd ones that had to be stuck onto the places on each page where there were a few holes left by uneven pages of stamps.
With these filled books, we purchased all sorts of things for the house.  There was even a Green Stamp Redemption Store where we could go to shop.  The stamps were redeemed for goods. Green stamps helped me to understand the concept of redemption.  Paying a price to exchange one thing for another.  I was a green stamp booklet exchanged for the glory of God.

Ransomed.  Who held me captive?  The world - the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the foolish pride of life.  The prince of the power of the air.  The old devil himself - Beelzebub.  Lucifer.  And my own soulish selfish self.  Caught hopelessly in the trap of medicating and posturing and shooting in the dark.  Something in God's heart loved me.  He paid for me...bought me out of slavery...in order to love me as His child.  Adopted me from another father who scorned and beat me into submission in order to grow me up into the fulfillment of His dreams for me....and you.

Redeemed.  Exchanged like a stamp booklet for something better.  Useless pages of spit-dampened squares.  Why would He want it?  Precious to Him on some level that surprises me still.  He thought His blood worth the exchange.  His death worth my life.  Jesus had the little booklet in His hand when they nailed Him to the cross.  Remembered it.  Looked at it.  Saw it when He cried out in His heartbreak to a Father who could not look on the sin of it.  Jesus never dropped the booklet that was me.  He held on because I belong to Him.  He holds it still until I come to Him and He shows the Father its redemption value.

For you have been bought with a price.  Therefore, glorify God in your body.  I Corinthians 6

" The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many."  Jesus

I am such a grateful little green stamp book.

No comments:

Post a Comment